Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Storing Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing Sportsman

It's fuel injected.

And what's up with putting the oil in the spark plug hole???

Old 12-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok my bad ,didn't realize what year it was ,

Old 12-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Range Rover

Putting the oil in the spark plug hole, does two things. It keeps the sp from getting so tight you cannot break it loose, but break it off and it helps keep the piston and ring from rusting to the bore and scarring when you start it up in the spring. I would not put 3 tablespoons of Mtr oil however. You might need a new plug if you did that as well as a lot of smoking in the spring.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

get some fogging oil ,a spray thats designed to lubricate the cylinder for storeing

Old 12-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mine sit for 5 months at a time and all i do is add gas stablizer and make sure you run enough to get in the carbs and fill the tank to the top and make sure i charge my battery so its fully charged and leave it alone until i use it again. this is a four stroke so theres no reason to fogg the engine or put oil in the spark plug hole.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Range Rover

It takes a certain amount of time to get the oil flowing to the cylinders that is the reason for the oil. Besides, it helps the plugs so you can get them out. He can do whatever he wants, he is just asking for different opinions. I have seen vehicles that were stored for over 25 yrs. I see what problems that they have when they try to get them going again. It does not take long for the pistons to form rust.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

also depends I would think if you make sure the cylinder is TDC the vavls will be closed so no out side air into it to provide moisture ,just a thought .

Old 12-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Standard practice for storing an engine:

Fill tank with fresh non-alcohol fuel (no ethanol or other alcohol content) mixed with the appropropriate amount of StaBil fuel treatment. It's best to mix in an external gas can so you get a really good blend, then pour that into the tank.

Start and run the engine for several minutes so that the treated fuel makes it to the engine.

Turn off the fuel valve and let the engine run until it dies for lack of fuel.

Top off fuel tank and leave fuel valve closed. You want minimal air in the tank to minimize condensation.

Remove plug(s) and pour about one ounce of oil into plug hole so oil flows into cylinder. Cover plug holes with a rag and crank engine a couple of times to distribute oil throughout cylinder. Reinstall plugs.

Engine is now ready for long-term storage.

Disconnect and remove battery. Keep it above freezing and connected to a Battery Tender, a standard battery maintenance device available from most battery shops (Batteries Plus, etc.) for about $30-50.

When you want to revive the engine just install the battery, turn on the fuel valve, and crank it up. It might take a few extra moments while the fuel pump recharges the fuel system, but it will be OK.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not much of an ATV mechanic though and don't know the procedures for finding TDC on my atv.

IF I do add the oil to the pistons, how do I remove it the next time I crank it? Or will it just lubricate and not affect the combustion chamber? If worse case scenario, I can just change the plug.

So...
1. Fuel Stabilizer in a full tank of gas
2. 2-3 tablespoons oil in spark plug hole
3. Lift atv onto jack stands?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

You don't need to find TDC. Pour in the oil and crank the engine a couple of times to distribute it. The reason for the rag is because otherwise the oil will spray all over the place. You also want to crank the engine because otherwise you can get a hydrolock condition in the cylinders which can prevent the engine from starting, or bend piston rods and other fun effects.

Do what I recommended and all will be well.

Quick Reply: Storing Sportsman