Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 rattle??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 700 rattle??????

Hey Everyone! New member but been lurking for a while now.

Anyway, I just bought a new 700 EFi and was curious if ALL Polaris did this....

When I come down a hill and the clutch disengages the thing rattles like crazy!! So I picked it up last friday, spent 15 minutes on it then took it to a dealer and spent 80 bucks for them to tell me "it's normal but my larger tires make it sound even worse!"

If you have any suggestions or have any idea whats up please let me know!!

Thanks!
Kyle

Old 12-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like the imfamous drive train rattle tarheel, this is very normal. believe it or not it is normal, i don't even hear it anymore on my, i guess i've just got use to it. welcome to the forums bro, you've purchased a great ride. what kind of tread did your put on it ?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

Yea i agree, sounds like the wonderful drive train noise. my 08 800 and my 05 700 make it, plus sounds like my heat shields on my 800 are a little loose. the noise is irritating but its still one of the best atv's out there.

have a great time riding.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

you paid 80 bucks to your dealer to look at a brand new machine? I took mine in for a tranny rattle and he spent 2 hours on it, let me test ride a different mahcine. Rode around with me, took the belt cover off, checked the belt and told me it was ok and sent me on my way. He didnt charge me a thing and said if I wanted to ride it for a while and bring it back they would look at it some more.

sounds like your dealer needs some customer service skills

Old 12-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Guys thanks for the warm reception!

Well Brutus in a nutshell yeah....I paid 80 bucks for them to tell me it was normal!! Stupid stamp here please! Actually I bought the thing friday (12-7) but I was swamped all week so I couldn;t make the 95 mile trip to the dealer I bought it from so i went to a more local dealer. The 80 bucks was a diagnostic fee..go figure..
I've had several 4 wheelers in the past but they've all been sport quads (no auto tranny) I've also riden a buddies SM 500HO and I've never been on anything that sounded like this. I mean I can understand a little knock or something when you start or "tap" the throttle but to be running a steady throttle (downhill barely on throttle) or to be coasting in high and it sounds like it's coming undone. I hope it;s the belt tapping on the cover or something but I can feel it on my feet on the pegs...

jdaddy - The dealer had put Goodyear MT/R's on it (26") and 14" alum wheels. They had it decked out with options and a good price so I went with it. I love the power and ride just a little cautions about the knocking/rattle!!

Thanks for the input guys!! I really appreciate it.

So any east tennessee boys around here?? Or ride in east Tn???
Kyle

Old 12-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you hear it when you let off and when you first get on the throttle then its the drive line slap(normal for the new ones) and nothing you can do about it. if this was a local polaris delaer that checked it out, you still got ripper off as it should be covered in all events.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He said "downhill Barely on throttle".............Could that be his E.B.S.?......Or ADC...???.....................................I really don't know for sure..I don't have either one!!....LOL....
But the other guys can tell you this might be what your hearing in the Clutch.......holding back the engine!!!...on down slopes........Caper...........

Old 12-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they dont make any rattling noises w/ either brake set up working.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I would ask..............He did say the sound was in the clutch in his post!!.........Caper...........

maybe there is a problem............would that cause the noise?........

Old 12-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Trailblazer

I can handle the line slap your talking about when I take get on and off the gas, but what kinda makes me mad is the constent knock/rattle at 17/19mph with a constent light throttle going downhill and it sounds like a rod has came loose!! ha ha

The dealerships didn't help out either, I mean $80 for to tell me it was "normal" with 20 minutes on the machine. Should have waiting and took it to the dealer I purchased it from and had WAY more argueing power. live and learn.

oh yeah......I do not believe it's in the engine or engine braking. If I go to the top of a hill and stop (in high) and let off the brake and let it roll (clutches are NOT engaged) it will knock and rattle until I touch the gas then the clutches engage and it slows the quad. I know it stinks trying to diagnos something from a goof like me typing it...sorry guys! ha ha

thanks

Quick Reply: Sportsman 700 rattle??????