Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

gps

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gps

I second and third and forth the Lowrance H2Oc............Great detail with the topo S/D/ card.............Plus larger screen then most!!....And the user buttons are at the front ...not the side like most!!!............Get the R.A. M. mount also.........A must for the Quads!!!...................Caper..........

Old 12-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Default gps

H2o are Black and white screen.........And the H2Oc is the color model!!...Just to let you know .......Caper...............

Old 12-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gps

I've had a Magellan Color for several years but haven't used it since last year when I got a Lowrance Expedition Color. The reason I switched was because of the maps. Lake Master Maps are the best for lake contours etc. They have roads too, but not as many as Magellan (but Magellan needs to be down loaded off the PC).

The other reason I switched was the screen resolution on the Lowrance is far superior. Color makes a big difference.

RAM mount is the only way to go also. I've got a picture of mine in my gallery (click on camera).

Old 01-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Range Rover
Default gps

Has anyone bought one of the new Magellan GPS units?

New Megellan - 300

Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default gps

my street piolet is just for rds as far as i can see. a guy at work whos in to gps uses his on his dirt bike and swears by his brand garmin and says thats the only brand to buy. i my self dont know enough about them to understand how they would have atv trail maps loaded into them for all the trails in the woods.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default gps

i also say Garmin is the only way - its like buying a Warn over a Gorilla. I didnt have any luck with Megellan but others like them. I have heard many that dont like allot of brands but I have never heard any of not liking Garmin.

but as with everything - once you get one bad taste of something, you will never go back for seconds

Old 01-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Range Rover
Default gps

My old Magellan Meridian Marine has been good, mounted on the handle bar, but I really want the new Triton 1500. These new Magellan units, besides having a color 240 x 320 QVGA display, are the first to accept the National Geographic state topo maps at 1:24,000 scale, not just the national park maps, but all the 7.5 minute quadrangle maps. This is unprecedented. I've been researching GPS units looking specifically at the mapping software available for the different brands. I would gladly have a Garmin unit if it were not for their short coming in the area of maps. Lowrance has better options, but if you are a map nut like me and want a GPS that displays the most detailed topographic maps available in color, it's the Magellan Trition; models 400 and higher have the SD slot to accept all the map data a person could want.

More information:

Triton GPS bundled with Nat. Geographic TOPO.

Triton GPS units for sale on Tiger GPS

MagellanGPS.com

Old 01-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Default gps

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: brutus450

i also say Garmin is the only way - its like buying a Warn over a Gorilla. I didnt have any luck with Megellan but others like them. I have heard many that dont like allot of brands but I have never heard any of not liking Garmin.

but as with everything - once you get one bad taste of something, you will never go back for seconds</end quote></div>

I ask you one question my friend!!!.......Has you used the Lowrance H2Oc?.....Have you even seen one?...........Caper.............

Old 01-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Range Rover
Default gps

So looking at the GPS the 400 at $199 is the way to go. How much are the SD Maps? I have to research this more.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Range Rover
Default gps

Black Pearl, I see you're in Canada. The National Geographic TOPO! series appears to cover only the US on a state by state basis. Dang!

However Magellan offers Topo Canada Here for their GPS units. Verify with Magellan that Topo Canada will work with the new Triton units. It must be compatible since the Tritions are replacing the Explorist series.

Anyway, you download Topo Canada from their website onto your computer, then use the software that comes with the GPS to install the areas you want onto the SD card inserted into the GPS unit. I would get an SD card with a capacity of 1 GB, since they are very reasonably priced these days, and this is large enough to hold a lot of maps.

It looks like you could get it all for well under US$300.

Good Luck