Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

A look INSIDE a stock muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A look INSIDE a stock muffler

In my quest for a quieter exhaust without hampering performance, I'm going to make a custom muffler tomorrow. I took my stock single muffler and cut the back end (right at the end) off of it. The entire inner construction can be seen with the rear open.

My plan is to take another muffler and cut the back end off of it, right behind the downspout (outlet), and have it welded to the rear of the original 800 muffler. This will give me a muffler about 4 inches longer. The rear portion of the muffler is basically an open chamber with a perforated tube (slightly smaller diameter than the outer shell). There is fiber-type packing between the tube and the shell.

I'm sure that this won't result in a huge sound reduction. I'm basically hoping that it will take the harsh tone out of the exhaust.....mellow it out a bit. My thought is if I leave the baffling and outlet alone, the back-pressure will be the same, just more room inside the can for sound waves to bounce around before coming out.

My 500 will end up being the winner in the end, as it will be the donor of the second muffler. Now I'll have to buy something new for it.........the wife will be happy as she wants it louder anyway.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:25 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Sounds like a worthwhile project. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Range Rover

Didn't your 800 come with the dual exhaust? Mine is very quiet and has a nice low rumble to it. If your idea doesn't work you might want to try an FMF Megamax. It comes with multiple disks to quiet or louden the exhaust. It also comes with the quiet core insert which is supposed to be quieter than stock. I had one on my 500 scrambler running no baffles at all. Man is was freaking loud. I always had to ride last in line.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

I would like to see and hear some aftermarket or modified 800 exhaust pipe video. Anyone?

Old 01-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Click HERE for the results of my project.

My opinion on this project was that it was not worth the time spent and the sacrifice of the 500 muffler. But as I said previously, the 500 will be the winner in the end as it will get a new muffler. I'm going to put a Supertrapp IDSX on it.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

I hand fitted the Benz and the result was a very quiet exhaust! I had previously hand fit the Benz with the unaltered muffler and found a noticeable difference, not great. But with the larger primary muffler, the Benz somehow works a lot better. I'd estimate that it has quieted the exhaust 30 to 50% beyond what it did before. As soon as I get the adapter welded on, I'll take a video and post it so you guys can hear the difference.

Question about exhaust back pressure and air/fuel ratio:

If doing this mod to the exhaust has increased the back pressure slightly, how would I go about measuring the air/fuel ratio? My thought was to take it to a shop that does smog tests or something like that, where they have a probe that goes into the muffler to check emissions. Anyone know if I'm on the right track?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:22 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

You're on the right track but remember, your carb has three circuits. Idle, mid range, and full throttle. You will have to get readings at all three. Maybe contact Rick Ritter Racing for a full understanding of what you are trying to achieve.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

What did you do with the other exahust pipe off you 800 deluxe? The 07 800 deluxe did have two mufflers right? I Know all of the 05s, 06s, and 08s have the duals, but some of the 07s didn't.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mongrol

You're on the right track but remember, your carb has three circuits. Idle, mid range, and full throttle. You will have to get readings at all three. Maybe contact Rick Ritter Racing for a full understanding of what you are trying to achieve.</end quote></div>

this is an efi not a carb model as they only come in efi.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

I've been tinkering with this kinda stuff for awhile now. I've found that a simple 90* turn helps alot. I see on the bottom of the muffler you have an elbow, add one more and point it down. Doc

Quick Reply: A look INSIDE a stock muffler