Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Push starting your Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push starting your Polaris

I read on another thread that someone push started their Polaris (I believe it was an automatic). How exactly do you do that?

I have many times roll started my old stick shift cars, but never an automatic four wheeler.

Anyway, I guess it's possible, do you just turn the key on and turn the shut off switch to on and get it going fast?

If you are in need of doing this, does it hurt it to start it that way?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

I'm fairly certain that it cannot be done.

I'd rather push my car than my ATV anyway, the car rolls a lot easier.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Actually, it CAN be done. I've done it before. What you have to do is pull the quad behind something at a fairly good speed and then hit the starter. Also make sure it is in gear. I tried it once when my 2000 Sportsman 500 broke down a long way from our camp. At first we tried to do it by getting it rolling and putting it into gear, but all that did was grind. It figured that we got it started when we were almost back, after pulling it through the creek and up a steep hill a couple of times.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>What you have to do is pull the quad behind something at a fairly good speed and then[b]hit the starter]/B]</end quote></div>

What if the reason your trying to push start the ATV is because the starter does not work?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

myself i would have to see it done to beleave it. it would be like trying to push start a snowmobile also cant be done.w/ the polaris clutch system it needs the engine to be running to compress the primary clutch w/ rotating force so the spring and clutch weights can be overcome to engage the belt. imo

Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

TLC, the starter was working, it just wouldn't start. Still not sure what the problem is, haven't had time to work on it. We were out riding and the quad backfired a couple of times and then shut off when we stopped. It wouldn't start from then on. Maybe someone here can help me figure out what the problem is. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm thinking that it may be a spark plug, I don't think that it was ever replaced, bought used. Also when we did get it started by pulling it, it really woundn't run anyway.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

In order for the push start to work, the drive clutch (primary) and driven clutch (secondary) would have to reverse their roles, which just isn't possible.

As far as spark plugs, it wouldn't hurt to replace them. This way you can rule things out one-by-one.

ADDED:

polarisman600, I just re-read your post. If you hit your starter WHILE you were pulling it with a car, then the ATV wasn't really "push-started".

Old 01-08-2008, 01:04 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: polarisman600

TLC, the starter was working, it just wouldn't start. Still not sure what the problem is, haven't had time to work on it. We were out riding and the quad backfired a couple of times and then shut off when we stopped. It wouldn't start from then on. Maybe someone here can help me figure out what the problem is. [img][/img] I'm thinking that it may be a spark plug, I don't think that it was ever replaced, bought used. Also when we did get it started by pulling it, it really woundn't run anyway.</end quote></div>

Mine did that,electric start would not start it but one pull did. I took off the recoil cover and it had dirt moisture in there . Turned out the pulse coil contact face was filthy and it,s flywheel contact point was rusty also, I cleaned up both and its been starting with the key ever since.

I guess because a pull from the pull start makes a faster rotation of the motor it can get a signal between the pulse coil and flywheel even if its rusty or dirty,But the electric start turns the motor over too slow to get a big enough charge to get through the dirt and rust. That's my theory anyways.LOL

If the gap betteen the pulse coil and flywheel may be to wide for the slow turning electric start,but the fast turning pull start can get things going. Clean up the contact faces of the pulse coil and flywheel and close the gap up abit if need be.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Sheepdog, I was pulling it with another ATV, but anyway I thought that was what "ohnet" meant when he started the topic. If you were to do it by actually pushing it by hand there's no way because it's pretty hard to push an 800 lb machine, unless you push it down a hill.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Range Rover

Polarisman600, you are right on. I was wondering how this was done, push or pulling the ATV (not the pull rope for the starter).

Anyways, it sounds pretty rough on the vehicle, so I guess I would only attempt it in an emergency. Hope I never have one!

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Push starting your Polaris