Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EPI CLUTCH KIT

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008 | 03:54 PM
|
Range Rover
Default EPI CLUTCH KIT

Well today I put on my EPI Clutch Kit. Let me tell you that the rear spring is a pain to compress if you don't have the right tool to do it with. The front I didn't end up pulling the clutch. I put the weights and springs on while the primary drive was installed. It went pretty smooth that way. Not hard at all. The EPI Kit came with 2 different springs for the front. One is not much more than factory and the other is drasticly more stiff and longer. I tried it first and it engaged at over 2000 rpms. Way to much for the kind of riding here in WV. For the people who strictly mud bog it would be great for the larger tires. I went with the smaller of the 2 springs it came with. It engages at somewhere just over 1500-1800rpms. You can feel the larger weights engage along with the added power. I now can't really wheelie due to it spins the 27" 589's pretty hard. On dirt trails the 589's rip the ground up as if some one just plowed it. They wouldn't do that yesterday in my 70 mile ride before I put the clutch kit on. One bad thing I see about the kit for the speedy people, it took off some major top end speed. I could hit the rev limiter about 50 something mph. Factory I could top out around 65mph and not hit rev limiter but it was done pulling at that time. Being that I ride with more Rhinos than anything now I'm still faster than them so no worries there. Can't wait to go for another long ride. I'll be out of town for a few days so if you have questions reply to this and I'll answer every one of them when I get back. I hope this answers any questions about the clutch kit. I had a lot of problems finding out information on what I wanted to know about the kits.

Old 01-18-2008 | 02:35 PM
|
Range Rover
Default EPI CLUTCH KIT

Update on the clutch kit. Boy does this kit pull hard. To me it makes the 700 feel like it did with stock tires. You can spin the about any time you want on the trail. It seems that it has worked out pretty good. I'm going to be pulling some logs for firewood tomorrow so we'll see how good it hooks up.

Old 01-18-2008 | 03:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default EPI CLUTCH KIT

this kit isnt adjustable at all? sounds like too much weight or too stiff of a spring if your topping out that fast.

Old 01-18-2008 | 03:22 PM
|
Range Rover
Default EPI CLUTCH KIT

Yeah it had different springs to adjust on the front but not different rear springs. The kit was designed for 27" tires and utility use. You have to remember it's engaging at about 600 or more rpms higher and running about the that higher at all speeds so you're going to top out pretty fast. I tried the other spring and it was just too high of an engagement.

Old 01-18-2008 | 05:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default EPI CLUTCH KIT

i was thinking more of the secondary spring or the clutch weights. dont know much about the epi kit. 600 rpms above stock is a good place to be if your trail riding in the hard stuff.

Old 02-05-2008 | 09:00 AM
|
Range Rover
Default EPI CLUTCH KIT

Well I took the ATV for a long ride over the weekend and I decided I didn't like the clutch kit. I rode 62 miles and had to put fuel in the atv 4 miles from the truck because low fuel light was on. Without the Clutch Kit I make it back to truck and still have 2 bars of fuel left. So Monday I called EPI to discuss the Clutch Kit. Come to find out the one I bought is strickly for work and 27" tires. She said it is no way shape or form designed for trail riding. I guess that would explain lots of power but no top end speed. As I said it took about 15mph off top end being that Saturday on the ride about 53 was as fast as it would go.

However, EPI is correcting this with good customer service and sending me some different springs to make this kit what they call the sport utility kit that I should have bought in the first place. I think this was pretty good of them. The description when I bought the clutch kit online didn't say it was for pure work. I guess sometimes it's better not to go with the best price huh? When I get the new spring in the 2ndary clutch I'll give an update.

Old 02-05-2008 | 09:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default EPI CLUTCH KIT

that sounds like awesom cust. realations for sure. yea thats just the thing that alot of people dont under stand that these kits gives you something, but always takes something away as well. there is no such thing that i have heard of that does both ends of the bottom and top. oh wait, yes they do its called stock set ups. sorry i had to throw that in there lol.

Old 02-05-2008 | 09:38 AM
|
Range Rover
Default EPI CLUTCH KIT

I totally agree with you stendori about the give and takes and also about the stock clutch. The lady at EPI said I could expect 1-5mph loss from stock with the new spring she was sending me. I knew when I went to put the spring in that came with the kit at first something was up because it took two of us to compress it enough to get snap ring on.

Old 02-05-2008 | 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default EPI CLUTCH KIT

Does the EPI kit come with a new helix?

Old 02-05-2008 | 11:20 AM
|
Range Rover
Default EPI CLUTCH KIT

yes the EPI comes with a new helix. A lot of kits from what I've read don't come with a new helix.

Quick Reply: EPI CLUTCH KIT