Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front diff input shaft seal (leak)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front diff input shaft seal (leak)

Guys,

The input shaft (the one that the prop shaft attaches to) on my 800 has started leaking. It won't do it as it sits there, but obviously does it while the ATV is in operation. I'd just as soon NOT take it to the dealer so they can further screw it up. If its an easy job, I'll just do it myself.

Anyone ever replace this seal on their own, as in NOT taking it to the dealer? I don't have a manual yet for my '07, but I've seen a manual for a 2005 800 that suggests it can be done fairly easily with only removing the prop shaft and input shaft cover...it looks like the seal is pressed into the input shaft cover. And it also looks like it can be done without removing the differential.

TIA!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sheep i would think you could easly do it. the only thing differnt is the adc and most likely wouldnt be a factor in the seal change. imo. let us know.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

I stopped at the dealer yesterday to put in the work order for a new seal. The parts guy said it probably went due to me putting the LT fluid in there. I about lost it!!!! I told him that the LT fluid was the proper fluid for the ADC diffs and he told me that was not true. He then asked me if I wanted to replace the seal myself rather than have them work on it.......ya think!! I asked if I could look at the shop manual, which he gladly provided. I found the section that dealt with the front diff, and found where it listed LT fluid for the ADC front diff, and showed that to him, and he still insisted that there was no difference between it and the regular fluid. Then the mechanic comes out to see what I'm doing with their manual, and he said that there was no difference in the two fluids. Rather than argue with them any further, I told them that the procedure seemed straightforward enough that I would do it myself. The parts guy was nice enough to print out the whole section of the manual for me to take home. They may be idiots, but at least they're nice.

So, they ordered the seal kit for me under warranty.

The actual work looks like this.

1. remove front prop shaft roll pin and pull the yolk off the shaft.
2. remove the three screws from the input shaft cover and remove the cover.
3. the ADC armature plate and cam disc plate will come out of the cover giving access to the seal.
4. replace the seal and o-ring and reinstall.

My only fear is that something will not go right and I'll have to bring it in for those idiots to work on. The parts guy tried to sell me an extended warranty at the time, which I declined. But now I'm thinking that I might spring for a two year extension in case I lose my front diff later this year like Scrammy did. After this latest visit to the dealer, I'm almost positive that they won't back me if I lose the diff after the warranty expires.

I'll update this thread as I progress through the project.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

hey sheep, see this is why i wouldnt pay for an extended warranty as they said you put the wrong fluid in so it wouldnt be covered under warranty. i think you might want to get of hold of a polaris tec at the company to find out about this fluid as if it was the same or didnt matter polaris wouldnt be using it. maybe some one at the hillard co. would know which fluid would be right as well. becasue if their right(dont think so) then our owners manual are wrong and their could be alot of messed up seals. keep us updated on this. oh, and if you did buy the ext. warranty after you did the work yourself and something broke later. i'll bet you $100. they would say it was your fault of your workmenship and wouldnt cover any further repair. just my opinion.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Good points, Stendori.....thank you.

I took three pics today. The first one shows the LT fluid that I just drained today. In the red circle is fresh LT fluid that I poured there for comparison, in the yellow circle is the LT fluid that came out after only 4.7 hours/ 10 miles of use. Pretty sad, I don't see how it could be so dirty after such a short period of time. There were no metal shavings or anything on the drain plug. Only thing I can think of is that the clutch plates are still wearing in. That and maybe the regular green fluid that was in there is still mixing and coming out. Either way I wasn't impressed with how dirty is was.

The second pic is after I cleaned it up under the input shaft. The third pic shows how much leaked out after only 20 minutes of snowplowing.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

this after the new seal was put in? i would say the green stuff was mixed in to change the color that much. besides if it wearing metal parts or clutch pads it wouldnt be that dirty in that short of time unless something was really wrong. is there a bearing in where the pro shaft goes into inside. just wondering if its bad and making the shaft vibrate or something which is taking out the seal. its happening on my standard car that way. just curious.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Stendori, the seal kit is still on order. And there is a bearing in there. When I have the cover off, that will be the perfect time to check it.

Trending Topics

Old 02-08-2008, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider

Stopped by the shop to see if the parts were in.

They pulled the order from 2-1-08, which said a one week delivery!

The next check said it was backorderd until 2-15-08.

So this project will be on hold longer than expected.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

that sucks. wonder if any dealer would have it.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

we I found out my seal is leaking, by checking my ADC reservoir and its empty, and the tube only has about an inch of fluid in it above the case so i got to looking close at the front end, the shaft and area "looks" wet but there are no puddles.

so where did all my ADC fluid go?

Quick Reply: Front diff input shaft seal (leak)