Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

machenic school?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default machenic school?

hey guys i was just wondering if any of you knew of a good trade school or vo- tech that gives an atv machanics. i would like to get a licenes so that i can start gettin a lil money for doing something that i enjoy. i do it for free on mine and a few buddies quads, so hey, might as well get paid for it huh. thanks................shea....................

Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default machenic school?

All a good mechanic needs is a factory servive manual/tools and the ability to use it!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts
Default machenic school?

Search Wyo Tech. I think that's the name of the school.

I don't think someone holding a service manual would make for a good resume.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Range Rover
Default machenic school?

yeah i agree. i was wanting to get a license or a certificate from a trades school so that i can work on them legally and make money at it that way there wont be any lawsuits if they were to come up for working on motors without one, ya know what im saying. thanks......................shea.................. .....

Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default machenic school?

Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College
WITC has a a small engine program with certificates

Old 01-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default machenic school?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: shea_davis1214

yeah i agree. i was wanting to get a license or a certificate from a trades school so that i can work on them legally and make money at it that way there wont be any lawsuits if they were to come up for working on motors without one, ya know what im saying. thanks......................shea.................. .....</end quote></div>

Shea,
I've run my own shop for 30yrs. now and have never went to school for any mechanical degree! I did go in the early 80's for a fuel injection course for Dodge FI but wasn't a for a degree. Other than my Inspection and Emission certificate which the state requires.

A good mechanic is better than any idiot with a degree! You can be sued whether you have a degree or not! Just do it right the 1st time!
Schools are so bad who ever pays and shows up gets a degree!!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default machenic school?

yea my buddy is one of the best atv/snowsled and any other type of engine out there and never went to a tech school. good knowledge and a talent is all it takes.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Range Rover
Default machenic school?

After reading this post, I spent some time researching (because I thought it was a good idea too), and there are some Motorcycle/ATV schools but only a few of them and only in a few states. There are a bunch of online people that want your money though.

I'm not interested in taking an online class, so I guess I won't get certified.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default machenic school?

Why does this have to be and either/or conversation. I want my mechanic to be talented & trained by the best. If you're serious about getting into the ATV repair business, I suggest talking to as many mechanics/shop owners as you can in your home town . Ask them how they started? Where they got trained? What would give you an edge in this job market? Ask them what schools they typically hire from or do they like to train in-house!

Use their answers to make your decisions.
I hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default machenic school?

Well not ATV related, but in Canada auto techs need to be licensed to work on cars. The test is nation wide and ensures that whoever passes knows as much as a guy in another province. I think you need a 70% to pass and I got 89% and ya I'm bragging a little. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But book smart and hands-on smart are completely differant. Lucky for me I have both. I grew up in my Father's shop and worked on everything from a 2 hp B&S to a D9 dozer to a tri-axle dump truck and everything in between. I have a pretty good idea on how stuff works.

When I was in school there were guys that had never even changed a tire but they knew everything in the book, and there were other guys that couldn't read but knew how to do everything. To me my license is my paycheck but it's only a piece of paper on the wall. If you can get a good reputation doing what you do, you will make money. If your state doens't require a license to work on stuff, then the only thing you will benefit from is more knowledge. So it's up to you if you want to spend the money on school, or just learn from hands on and expirience. I don't think I gave you a definite answer but hopefully some food for thought.

Quick Reply: machenic school?