Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

07 Outlaw 525

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Outlaw 525

Hello, I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to the ATV world, had a four wheeler 2 years ago, a yamaha warrior. I bought a used 07 Outlaw 525 and after getting it to my garage had a real hard time with keep it started.
The machine starts no problem with choke and idles fine after warmed up but when i put it into 1st and give it some gas the machine just quits on me. I then have a real hard time starting it. I drained the carb in hopes that there might be some old gas or water in the carb but that didnt fix the problem. There also seems to be a dead spot in the throttle.
One more thing, I have an extrememly hard time finding neutral when the machine is running. I have to kill the engine before i can find neutral, is this normal on this particular machine?
I have brought it back to the dealer and they are going through the machine but I thought I would ask all the experts and riders on this forum for advice.
Thanks in advance!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:38 AM
Range Rover
Default 07 Outlaw 525

Ok, my experience with the 525 finding neutral is YES very hard and it is not the outlaw as I rode a 525 EXC dirt bike and it was just as hard! Regarding the machine not running correctly I will be interested in what the dealer says, the other posts on this forum show that the air intake is robbing of power and needs to be addressed but the carb may need adjusting. When the machine is HOT be careful not to kill it as this machine has no hot start switch as the KTM525EXC dirt bike or other four strokes have and I have experienced hard starts then, but the machine likes the gas so it may take some getting use to when starting out.

Then a question for you, is the gear shifter in the correct spot? mine seems very far from the peg any comments?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 07 Outlaw 525

My peg doesnt seem far to me. There are aftermarket pegs on the machine, so this might be why the peg doesnt seem far to me. Thanks for the advice. I still have not heard from dealer about machine. I am gathering from what you said that the machine is going to be difficult to start after warmed up? I could not find neutral once, after numerous attempts! (more than 25 tmies) I would have to shut machine off before I could get it into neutral. This will be an issue if it is hard to start. Do you have the Outlaw as well? Do you like the machine?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default 07 Outlaw 525

It is easiest to find neutral on the KTM 510cc engine by going from 2nd down. Just a small bump and it will fall right into neutral.

If your 525 has not been rejetted it is an absolute must. They are jetted way on the lean side to meet EPA standards. Buy the JD Jet kit and if you are completely stock with the airbox lid on and baffle still in the stock exhaust install a 160 to 162.5 main jet, (stock is a 148) with his red needle on the 5th clip. If you take off the airbox lid and remove the spark arrestor you will need to be in the 168-170 main jet size with his red needle. Simply taking off the lid and adding his jet kit really makes the 525 come alive. This will also vastly improve throttle response. Also his kit comes with o-rings that you can use to put on the accelerator pump linkage to speed up the accelerator pump spray, this is all explained in his kit and is extremely easy to do.

Along those lines, when starting the 525, do not touch the throttle. If you touch the throttle when trying to start it you are going to have a hell of a time getting it to start. Adjust the idle up to about 1800 - 1900 RPM's. Between the jet kit, not hitting the throttle when trying to start it and turning up the idle it will solve almost all of your startup issues.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default 07 Outlaw 525

I can shift from 2nd into neutral first time everytime, but from 1st up is pretty much impossible for me.

Carb issues: 2 possible things: Note: it should NOT be too lean to run at all.

1) the breather hose is a small thing under the plastic and if this gets clogged or pinched, it will vapor lock and behave as described. If you take the gas cap off and it fixes it, this is the problem. 2 pissble fixes: Unclog/unpinch it, and re-rout it OUT of the steering post. Or replace the gas cap with a predator one as I have done. These have breather tubes in the middle of them and are the most fullproof design.

2) If any gas at all makes it stall i'm thinking you're having trouble with the accelerator pump diaphram. When I put my FCR back together once, i forgot to put the spring back in the diaphram and it did the exact same thing. It is possible that the spring broke or something. Never heard of it, but i suppose it's possible...

Good luck hope this helps!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 07 Outlaw 525

Evasiveone, thanks for the reply. I am not extrememly familar with jetting carbs, is this an easy process or is it something I should have the dealer do? If i dont do this will I constantly have the throttle and starting problem?
Also one person mentioned that the machine will be very hard to start if hot, is this the case on all the 525?
I did try going from 2nd down to N, but had no luck with that either. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 07 Outlaw 525

I am waiting for the dealer to let me know what they found if anything. They have had it since Monday and no word yet.
When i get it back I will try from 2nd to N again in hopes of findng the sweet spot.
I bought the sport bike for it's suspension and irs since I will be trail riding a lot in the maine woods and on rock trails.
I really hope the bike is dependable and fun, that is why I bought it! I have ridden sleds for years, have a 07 Polaris RMK 600HO and love the thing. I will need to get use to the quad riding, think it will just take some time.
Scrambler, since you have the Outlaw has it been a dependable and fun machine or are you constantly working on it?
I'm a little "scared" that I got a quad that is going to cause me trouble, since I couldnt get the thing to run when I brought it home for the first time.
The quad is used but looks like it is in great shape. Any advice. I have told the dealer that if they cant fix the problem I much rather get a brand new quad so I dont have to deal with constant problems. I will be able to ride only on the weekends due to work and location and rather enjoy riding the quad instead of working on it!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default 07 Outlaw 525

Outlaw, mine has been great, but I do change the oil every 15 hrs and check/adjust valves w/ each oil change. I race mine. XC racing primarily, but i took up MX at the end of last season and this season I plan on hitting 59 local events. (12 XC's and the rest MX's.) That said I have had some minor issues and here are my fixes:

1) Tank vent line clogged - replaced w/ billet cap for Predator w/ vent hose
2) Front wheel bearing failure - Polaris seems hit or miss with this. If yours do go, replace them w/ a high quality bearing and you should be good for life. Also, many folks don't have this problem. John Gallagher makes a tripple bearing hub that completely eliminates the problem. It's $320 but that's what I did b/c I can't have that letting go during a race.

Other than those 2 things the ride is great, but like I said I race mine, and ride very hard so a couple little things in over 100hrs of race-pace riding isn't bad at all. Good luck with yours but everyone I have talked to love theirs! I PM'd you my email address incase you have any questions b/c I'm not on this site too often. Hope that info helps [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]! Enjoy the new 525!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 07 Outlaw 525

Thanks Scrambler. I will send you an email on your acct!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:44 AM
Range Rover
Default 07 Outlaw 525

Yeah brother I ride mine quite a bit and with four other quads in our fleet mine has been the easiest one to keep running and so far just a few little problems...broke a clutch lever and finding more time to ride. Other than that starts easy for me and after the fourth ride I could find neutral a little easier from second down hitting it with my heel lightly! Otherwise no complaints!

Quick Reply: 07 Outlaw 525