Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96' Sportsman, no power to AWD switch or Neutral switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96' Sportsman, no power to AWD switch or Neutral switch?

I just bought this one owner 96' Sportsman with 550 original miles. Problem is the front hubs won't engage so I did a bunch of reading on here and a bunch of testing to discover there is no power going to the hubs. It has a brand new shidter from Polarsi on it, recently installed, the entire assembly with new switch in it. I checked the neutral switch on the shifter, and it has no power going into the switch and no power coming out ? I checked every wire going to and coming from the switch and it has no power going into it or coming out of it. I don't see how it can power up the AWD switch if it doesn't have any power going into it? (the neutral switch)
I don't have a manual but have ordered one, it won't be here for a while though, (Alaska). I assume the neutral switch has to have power going "into it" from some where, once pushed sends power to different places neuttral light and reverse circuit etc., is this correct? I think something else is wrong because there is no power going to this switch from the main box on the left side with everything plugged into it ? Is there another sensor or switch that controls power being sent to the neutral switch and the AWD switch? How do I test the main box or the other boxes there on the left to determine if they are faulty? I really could use your advice ! I have read for two days with the search function and can't figure this part out. Thank you

Old 02-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

NO one has any input? I could really use your help, there isn't a dealer with in 350 miles of here! Anyone....................

Old 02-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard from someone that the 4X4 light bulb needs to be good ....for the AWD to engage(older years).....not sure from what year ............Someone else here may jump in if I am wrong.............But I did hear this more than once.........Caper...............

Old 02-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post over at atvquadsquad.com and ATV Frontier. You may find someone that can help you there.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I posted with no results yet, thanks for your input, much appreciated! The only other thing I'm wondering is if the reverse overide circuit has the effect to send power to the neutral safety switch and if it's malfunctioned then will this cause the neutral switch and AWD switch to not be getting any power? They can't work unless power is going inot each of them and this is the key to the problem............frustrating!

Old 02-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im just throwing idears out. if the reverse override isnt working correctly or the transmission switch isnt working right either, then i beleave that it would shut power down to the awd switch. have you tried running power to the switch to by pass everything esle to see if the awd works? if you say theres no power even getting to the switch then it maaybe either the override or tranny switch cuting the power to it acting like its in reverse. and yes the light bulb has to be working to complete the circuit in some bikes. maybe someone who has one like ftwftl can help you out better. good luck.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply Stendori, I have read many many posts from you or you've replied to and have always had good answers and information!. The tranny switch your talking about, is that the one on the shifter or a seperate one on the transmission? I looked at the transmission but didn't see any other wires coming from back there? Also can some one tell me if the plug to the counter balance oil is right under nether beside the starter? A small bolt with philips head, this was the only one in the general area (right below dip stick) that looked appropriate? Also how much counter balance oil does it hold? Again thank you everyone for your advice!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got a 95 magnum, the wiring diagram for it shows power coming thru the ignition switch(red/white wire)to trans switch, in fwd the grey/white wire should be hot coming from the gear sel switch into override switch then to the Speed limiter. Have you got a volt meter or test light to help? Also shows power to the AWD switch coming from the gear switch, the light is not is "series with the hubs so the light be out doesn't affect voltage to the hubs. Not sure if that will help, but it may give you some ideas.

Check your wiring at the ignition switch where it all feeds thru.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Let us know what you figure out.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

The book says to test the gray terminal on the circuit board under the headlight in the front panel,if no voltage test AWD and tranny switch ,the tranny switch is a grey-white terminal The book goes into great detail about all the different tests you can do, can you get one?

Quick Reply: 96' Sportsman, no power to AWD switch or Neutral switch?