Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP shock setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008 | 10:23 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default SP shock setup

Hey Everyone.

The first thing I did when I bought my SP was go 2 clicks (from the softest setting) up on my rear shocks to stiffen up the back. I'm thinking about going up 1-2 more because the way the front lifts when you get on the gas a little.

I was curious what rear shock "notch" most are set up to run?? Also has anyone done anything to the front shocks to stiffen them up any?? Spacers and such?

Old 02-06-2008 | 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default SP shock setup

which Sportsman do you have? 500, 800? How heavy it is and how much power it has will change the setting.

On my 800 I have it 2 from the hardest, as for the front, I was thinking about getting the stiffer Polaris springs to bring the front end back up.

Old 02-06-2008 | 11:22 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default SP shock setup

Mine is a 700 EFI. When I bought it a coupld of months ago the shocks were setup on their softest setting (shocks fully extended) I went up 2 notches but the front still lifts high on take offs. I'm going to experiment some but was also thinking of adding shock rings (like spacers) to the front like you would use on a plow setup to make the front a bit stiffer also. Just curious what people have done or setup theirs to make it a little more stiff.

Don;t get me wrong I love the ride when cruising around but when I ride it more agressive it is too soft and I like to tinker so I figured I would play around to find the 2 best setups for me.

Old 02-06-2008 | 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default SP shock setup

If you want the front to not lift as much you need shocks with stiffer rebound!
Works, Elka etc...

Old 02-06-2008 | 12:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default SP shock setup

the front springs are fairly soft and over time they will start to sag as well. on my 06' 800 i put 1 1/2" spacers in the front to help both isues with the sag and to help stop it from extending out as you said.

Old 02-06-2008 | 12:16 PM
Range Rover
Default SP shock setup

Do the 01 Sportsman 500's not have these adjustments? I looked at mine the other day and did see where I could do that. Mine are too soft and probably worn out.

Old 02-06-2008 | 01:16 PM
Range Rover
Default SP shock setup

I did as stendori and put a 1" spacer in the front which makes it a bit more stiff to help with the winches and so on but it also doesn't allow it to do as your stating. The front springs don't have an adjustor. Watch the clearance on the boots though if you do the spacer as i did. You may have to grind some on the strut just as you do when you put a true lift on it. I'm running my springs on I believe 1-2 notches below the highest to keep a stiff firm ride thru the turns. I'm only 150# though.

Old 02-06-2008 | 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Has ridden Rockhouse and Bearwallow trails.
Default SP shock setup

What is the easiest way to change the pre-load on the rear shock's. Jack the machine up, take tire's off and just twist? Any help would be appreciated. Thank's

Old 02-06-2008 | 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default SP shock setup

Use a tool called a spanner wrench, it wraps around the shock halfway and has a "tit" that will fit in the slots on the adjuster. Or a set of channel-locks.

I have EPI HD springs as well as a 1" lift. No strut grinding required. On the rear I have a 2" RD lift and the springs two clicks off of full hard. Seems to ride great!!

Old 02-07-2008 | 02:57 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default SP shock setup

I moved mine up 2 more clikcs and it does help a little. The stiffer tha back the less lift from the front ya know. Main thing is I've never had an ATV where I could make the rear stiff and NOT be able to adjust the front. It'd been nice if they would have made the front adjustable also.

I'm thinking if i stiffen the rear I should add a spacer in the front to stiffen those a little. Not sure and hadn;t had a chance to play too much with it. Just curious if anyone else had played with their suspension stiffeness without new shocks, lifting, etc..

thanks

Quick Reply: SP shock setup