Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 ATP 500 HO Electrial Nightmare

i'd look on ebay, might be a little cheaper than the dealer

Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much for your time.....I really appreciate it. This quad is so new to me that I haven't even received my Service and Repair Manual yet!?! So I would be flying blind without this forum.

PS - Sorry for the repeated post above, the computer locked up and when I finally got logged back in...the same post appeared 3 times...ughhhh!

Old 02-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

let us know if you find that it is the ecm thats bad.
ok me being lazy i didnt read the whole post (which i just reread it) and checked(shouldve known) there is no ecm on this bike. so it rules that out. it has the part number Rectifier, Regulator, LR 390 for the charging system which controols the voltage. if you unhook the battery from the bike and check the volt output what do you have? when the key is off and you put the battery back in the bike does the cables spark at all? if so then you have a short somewhere which will drain the battery down. these bikes need to maintain at 12.5 volts to run. like the speedo dispaly. if the battery is in the bike and its runing, check the output voltage like at 3,000 rpms and it should be pushing up to 14.8 volts area, but not over 15 volt and at least 13 volts . if not then maybe the recitifier is bad or the dead short is robbing all the power. just a few idears for ya.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Stendori....I just got in from the Polaris dealer (none local so I have to make a day of getting there). After showing the tech what I wrote on the forum as far as symptoms......he gave me the knucklehead salute (shrugged his shoulders and I don't know what's wrong with it. (shaking my head from side to side.) I did find out that there are only ECM on EFI models and CDI's on carb'd models. I went back to the drawing board today and bought yet another battery the one I just put in is going back to the store. After charging with a 1.5amp charger that has maintain mode, the battery was still only showing 9.5 volts. Got the new battery on the table, acid is in and just waiting to charge.

- THEN tomorrow I plan on checking the new battery for voltage.
- Try the start key if it is properly charged to above 12v.
- If that doesn't work the next step is to jump direct from the batter to the starter and see if she turns over.
- If that doesn work, then my trusty son-in-law is bringing me some needle probes to check for short circuit....1 foot at a time. :-(

Thanks again guys, your help has been super.

A walking RickTheStick :-)

Old 02-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

If you probe thru the insulation on the wires, be sure to put a dab of silicone where you pierced it. Otherwise moisture will get in there and corrode. It would be a better idea to unplug at the connectors and measure from the terminals themselves. And then a bit of dielectric grease in the connector to seal it up!!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you got to love some of these dealers who dont know what t he hell thier talking about. ask caper if his non efi carb model sportsman 450 doesnt have a ecm that hes on his 3rd one. make sure to check the battery for any discharge the way i mentioned earlier.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

I changed the ECM on a 2004.5 -400 had most of the same symtoms then finally quit altogether, put new ECM in it and it's been fine since.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

you got to love some of these dealers who dont know what t he hell thier talking about. ask caper if his non efi carb model sportsman 450 doesnt have a ecm that hes on his 3rd one. make sure to check the battery for any discharge the way i mentioned earlier.</end quote></div>

I should check to see if my 450 sportsman is E.F.I. LOL . LOL

It has a ECM!!!!!..........LOL....LOL.....I even know where to look for it if you want..........under the high beam headlight mounted to the frame!!!!..............

Old 02-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some dealers might call it a "PDM".....Power distribution Module.....Also!!!!!.....Caper............

Old 02-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ratafrazzle@#$*& blastit*!*&#%$....The Quad is fixed....It was a BAD BATTERY right off the shelf from the store!!!!!!!!!! My kids are out riding now....they said thank you too.

On the goo side of this adventure, I have gone through almost every connection, cleaned it, put it back together and gave each exposed connection a good coating of anti-corrosion and all snap connector a healthy dose of dielectric grease. I am a lot more comfortable with the quad now - we have declared a truce with each other. It told me it didn't like just sitting in the barn any more than I like it sitting there. This puppy will SCREAM!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys and gals....wouldn't want anyone to be offended in our overyly politically correct world.

RickTheStick

Quick Reply: 2004 ATP 500 HO Electrial Nightmare