Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to remove 400 counterbalance

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove 400 counterbalance

Do I have to remove the gear from the crank before removing the counterbalace in a 400? Do I need any special tools?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

why do u whant to remove the counterbalance?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I need to replace the crankshaft bearings

Old 02-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

o I was just woundering i have no clue i but i have a 400 sport 1998 but havn't had a prob with the engine nock on wood. runs great tons of power.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no to the first question
how far are you into the motor? oil pump needs to come off! are the cases split?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oil pump is out, water pump is out, flywheel and stator are off, but the case isn't spit yet.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can remove it from therewith a slide hammer watch the impeller threads tho, its just held in by the pressed in back bearing but it should be easier to just split the case heat around where the bearing is and in will come apart since you need to split it anyway

Old 01-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know this is an old thread but I hope some of you can still help me. I have my 2001 Explorer 400 torn down to the crank and counterbalance gear. I am need to have the counterbalance shaft serviced as it is severly pitted.

My question is once I am at this point and have removed the two bolts and the retaining clip for the counterbalance how do I actually remove the counterbalance? I dont have the Polaris tool so hoping some one can describe in detail how best to remove the CB and any precautions to note. I have seen some posts about a slide hammer but what is it connected to and how? Is it connected to the bolt holes in the CB itself or the water pump threads?

I really need some guidance here so please any one help!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Kinda hard to remove it without the tool or one that you can make to pull the c/b. Plus the bearings are in there pretty tight and the cases have to be heated up to make removal easier. Haven't seen one on ebay lately,plus this is the cheapest one I've found. Counter Balancer Puller versus dealer tools.https://polaris.service-solutions.co...6&cat=1&sub=24 I suppose people have made threaded pullers to work with slide hammers,but you have to be careful that you don't bend the shaft dong it this way.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi old polaris tech, can you describe how the tool is pulling the counterbalance? By the look of the tool I suspect the center bolt threads onto the waterpump shaft and the ends of the C shaped piece rests against the case then you turn the center bolt to pull it out. Is that correct?

Can you describe in detail for me the locations I need to heat the cases up for making removal easier? Also what steps should I take for pressing it back in while the engine is still in the frame.

When the CB is pulled from the block I assume the CB bearing behind the gear will come out with the unit but what about the oil bearing? Should that stay in the block or come out with the CB also?

Sorry for so many questions.

Quick Reply: How to remove 400 counterbalance