Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to remove 400 counterbalance

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The legs of the u shaped puller sit on each side of the case half. You back off the big nut enough to where you can thread the inner portion of the bolt all the way onto the c/b threads.Tighten down the big nut until it contacts the top of the plate.Use a propane torch to heat the side of the case,top to bottom for several minutes where the c/b and cavity are.Use a wrench to hold the bolt,then another wrench to tighten the nut.It's pretty tough to turn once you get down on the nut,but you can rest if needed and heat the case up a little again.Sometimes the c/b will pop up from adding more heat while under pressure or you may need to tighten the nut more until it pops up,then you can remove it. Same principle as popping off a flywheel.The back bearing will stay in the case most times. To get it out,just heat around it and take the case and knock it on a 2x4 sharply. The bearing will pop out. Gloves are highly recommended!!

The following users liked this post:
purplecj5 (06-10-2020)
Old 01-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay starting to get the picture now.

When you say heat the side of the case top to bottom are you referring to the right or the left side case? If you mean the left side of the case I guess I have to take the clutch and inner cover off?

When you refer to the back bearing I assume that is the oil bearing you are talking about. Does it have to be out to put the CB back in or if it stays in the case is it okay to leave it alone? I am leaving the engine in the frame so I dont think popping the case on a 2x4 is an option.

What are the steps to press the CB back in? Any ideas or tools to press it back in while the engine is in the frame?

Old 01-25-2015, 04:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by thousandbuckle
Okay starting to get the picture now.

When you say heat the side of the case top to bottom are you referring to the right or the left side case? If you mean the left side of the case I guess I have to take the clutch and inner cover off?

When you refer to the back bearing I assume that is the oil bearing you are talking about. Does it have to be out to put the CB back in or if it stays in the case is it okay to leave it alone? I am leaving the engine in the frame so I dont think popping the case on a 2x4 is an option.

What are the steps to press the CB back in? Any ideas or tools to press it back in while the engine is in the frame?
Clutch cover doesn't have to be removed,nor do the cases have to be split,plus c/b doesn't have to be pressed in.You can see the area where the c/b rides in the cases.Just heat this area up,primary at the top of the counter balancer area around the big bearing. IF the small bearing is ok,rolls good with no binding or noise it can be reused. If bad you can use an internal bearing puller.I simply replaced them because most of the time I was rebuilding engines on the bench. Cheap bearing you can get anywhere by the universal number on it. To install the c/b just heat the case up again,slip the bracket in first out of the way. If you heat the case up enough the c/b just drops right in place. Then mount the bracket.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just to make sure I am heating the right areas can you look at the pics I have included?

Does the oil pump have to be pulled for this repair also?

Many thanks for your help, I understand alot better now.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Can't see your pics. Just heat the case a little below the gear where the bearing rides and a little at the bottom bearing area.Oil pump doesn't have to be removed.

Attached Thumbnails How to remove 400 counterbalance-gtcm.jpg  
Old 01-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer

I can't see your pics either if I click the links in your post.

If I right mouse key and select "Copy Link Location" and paste that in a browser window I can see them. I guess Picasa doesn't work in this forum.

I know photobucket works if you need to post any additional pics...

Old 06-21-2018, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1994 polaris sportsma 400 4x4

Originally Posted by itch
no to the first question
how far are you into the motor? oil pump needs to come off! are the cases split?
I have a lot of water in the counterbalance oil please help what can it be head gasket or water pump