Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil

I run Amsoil in my Truck and what I can in the quad, I order extra just in case also, In my old truck (05 Ram 2500 Cummins) I ran Amsoil 5W-40 and had a Oilguard By-pass filter on it and changed the oil every 10K.

You can do oil analysis and they can tell you exactly what is wearing in your engine by the metals they find in your oil, if you have high level of silica in your oil it means your air filter is not doing its job.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:42 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Amsoil

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: onesavage

I DO NOT believe in ams oil "s 20,000 mile oil changes.</end quote></div>

Is that really what they recommend? Wow...way too long for me. I change my KTM's oil about every 1000 miles if its recreational riding. About 150 miles if Im racing, mostly due to all the clutch abuse in a race.

I use Mobil 1 in my wifes STS. I change it at 7500 miles and swap a filter at about 3750.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Amsoil

wow - 10 or 12 K before and oil change? I doont think so - not on my stuff. Even if I did go to amsoil I would change it WAY sooner than that

besides I cant even find it on a wednesday LOL - I have NO idea where to get it. Yeh it sucks dealers are closed when most people want to go to thier store. I never understood retail business. If I had a powersports store I would be open ALL WEEKEND and take Monday and Tuesday off. I would CRUSH the competition [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Amsoil

i took the intake off a 99 dakota 5.2 liter to see why the chain broke and the cam was siezed.. there was so much sludge in the vally cam/lifters i stood a very large screw driver up in it and it stayed there,wish i still had the pic. the customer told me that that could not happen "I run ams oil"...i have a few other not as bad but still nasty..but i am sure that i am just seeing the bad ones..i am REALLY NOT TO PICKEY on oil brands, hek i run napa oil in in my cars/trucks and change it every 2500 miles , just fine for years . but i do beleive mobile 1 is one of the better out there..

Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Amsoil

AMSOIL has a program called PREFERRED CUSTOMER program that you subscribe to for $10 (6 months). (you can do this online). As a PC, you can order anything you need - oil, gear lubes, plugs, filters at AMSOIL's "dealer wholesale" price and usually have shipped to you in a couple of business days. With fuel at $3+ gallon, it seems like it would save you time and fuel, as long as ytou can plan your lube service a few days in advance. Make sense?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Amsoil

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: brutus450

I never understood retail business. If I had a powersports store I would be open ALL WEEKEND and take Monday and Tuesday off. I would CRUSH the competition [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Well, I know where I grew up, the people that owned the bike shops were the ones that raced too.

"Race on Sunday, rest on Monday" was the going thing.

As far as finding an Amsoil dealer, it's just a google search away. Still, you'd think that in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, you could find a dealer open on Sunday.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default Amsoil

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jimk100189

AMSOIL has a program called PREFERRED CUSTOMER program that you subscribe to for $10 (6 months). (you can do this online). As a PC, you can order anything you need - oil, gear lubes, plugs, filters at AMSOIL's "dealer wholesale" price and usually have shipped to you in a couple of business days. With fuel at $3+ gallon, it seems like it would save you time and fuel, as long as ytou can plan your lube service a few days in advance. Make sense?</end quote></div>

thats what I do

Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Amsoil

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: onesavage

i took the intake off a 99 dakota 5.2 liter to see why the chain broke and the cam was siezed.. there was so much sludge in the vally cam/lifters i stood a very large screw driver up in it and it stayed there,wish i still had the pic. the customer told me that that could not happen "I run ams oil"...i have a few other not as bad but still nasty..but i am sure that i am just seeing the bad ones..

i am REALLY NOT TO PICKEY on oil brands, hek i run napa oil in in my cars/trucks and change it every 2500 miles , just fine for years . but i do beleive mobile 1 is one of the better out there..</end quote></div>

If it was in there for 20K intervals I dont think any oil would still function.

I used Walmarts SuperTech 10w-30 in my '96 Lumina minivan for almost 250K.(3K oil changes) Head gasget blew at 249,455. I never really liked the van much and couldnt stand working on it. I gave it to charity.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Amsoil

anybody ever heard of by-pass oil filters?

http://www.oilguard.com/

null

Old 02-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Amsoil

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

Well, I know where I grew up, the people that owned the bike shops were the ones that raced too.

"Race on Sunday, rest on Monday" was the going thing.</end quote></div>

the bike shop i was "raised" in, was a combo - the week working guys (myslef included) raced and played over the weekend while the weekend help ran the shop Saturday and Sunday!!

we were the #1 shop around let me tell ya

Quick Reply: Amsoil