Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How seamless is the AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How seamless is the AWD?

Still in the market as it seems that I can't make up my mind. First it was a Popo, then a Grizz, then a KQ, now I'm back to the Sp500. Anyhow...

How seamless is the AWD? When it engages does it buck or jerk at all? How well does this system work compared to the lockable 4wd units out there?

On the EFI models, how does everyone like them? Does the EBS and ADC work well? Any major issues with the 500 EFI?

Who has the most hours/miles on thier 500 EFI?

Old 02-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the 500 engine has been around for ever and i know a guy w/over 7,000 miles w/ one. as far the awd it is seamless as you dont have any of the grab like i ve sen in the locakable ones and they dont have any issues when turning like ive seen w/ the lockable 4x4. i have an 800 efi and love it comapred to the carb models w/out any issues.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2007 500 EFI with 3800 miles..The EBS and ADC both work excellent...I also have a 1999 Sportsman 500 with 8900 flawless miles.. Just sold a 2004.5 Sportsman 400 with 7800 miles on it .......

Old 02-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

I think Polaris AWD is better than other brands because:

a friend and I where riding out on a trail and came up to a rock ledge on an incline that sloped down to the left, I went up to it first in AWD and had the right front tire in the air the left tire grabbed (both front tires are always locked in when AWD engages) and pulled me up smoothly, you could not tell when AWD turned on or off and all I did was flip one switch

my buddy came up in his Grizzly 700 and put it in 4WD and attempted to climb up, he started but as soon as the right tire went airborne it just spun and the left tire did nothing, he had to stop and manual lock the front end in to continue, and then when he got up he had to take it out of 4WD and unlock the front end.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

THE POPO 4WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM IS PROBOBLY THE BEST SYSTEM AVAILABILE ON A 4X4 ATV. SWITCHES SEAMLESSLY INTO AND OUT OF 4WHEEL DRIVE. I HAVE A 04 600 W/ 4000 MILES AND NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES W/ ANYTHING. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS KEEP UP ON YOU BASIC MAINTENANCE.
IF IT WERE MY MONEY I WOULD BUY A SPORTSMAN OR A GRIZZ DEPENDING ON HOW IT WAS GOING TO BE USED, BUT I WOULD MAKE SHURE IT HAD EFI NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

That is encouraging, especially when you spend any time over in any of the other brands forums, they are always ragging on the Popo.

I guess I'll drink up to some Popo Kool-Aid.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

Also, what is the difference between the SP500 EFI and the SP500 EFI Deluxe? Is it worth the extra coin?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

the Deluxe comes with ADC, winch, aluminum rims, PXT Tires and a rear rack extender. I think its worth it

Old 02-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

I have about 125 hours on mine, and haven't had a single problem. The carburetor has served me fine, but I like EFI better. The AWD system has worked great for me in every condition I've been in. You can't really feel when it kicks in, it does it very smoothly and quickly. And all four wheels will have power to them ALL the time when there is a lack of traction in the rear, no manual locking of the front differential to worry about. And there is no speed limitation to the Polaris AWD system, whereas the other systems (except Can-Am) recommend a slower speed when the front diff is locked in. Kawasaki is slightly different in that there is a lever that you can pull and release without actually coming to a stop.

Good luck.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Blacksheep5

the Deluxe comes with ADC, winch, aluminum rims, PXT Tires and a rear rack extender. I think its worth it</end quote></div>

Also has the bulbs and switch installed for the rear work lights ....Correct?........I know you can still put them in on the non-deluxe models.........But I was told they come with the deluxe!!....Caper.........

Quick Reply: How seamless is the AWD?