Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which one would help the most!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one would help the most!!!

I have a 2003 sportsman 400 and am a little unhappy with the performance in both the low and high end. My biggest complaint is the lack of low end power in high range, it has plenty of torque in low range I can pull just about anything out with it. What performance upgrade would help the most? I am looking at the jet kit or the clutch kit. Any other ideas would be a big help. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually both would be great and not that expensive

Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

if your looking at doing just one mod for now, i'd go with the clutch kit. it will give you more low and mid range torque. there are various brands like EPI, Heelclicker, and Dalton.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a clutch kit will not make your bike faster on top end, with out big loss to the bottom end.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

I WOULD NOT RECOMEND the hellclicker for a single cylinder eng..get a kit that has a more agressive helix.. i also have the dyno-jet kit. maybe a little gain..in the end its a 400 on a very heavy frame, it will nver be a rocket!!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: onesavage

I WOULD NOT RECOMEND the hellclicker for a single cylinder eng..get a kit that has a more agressive helix.. i also have the dyno-jet kit. maybe a little gain..in the end its a 400 on a very heavy frame, it will nver be a rocket!!</end quote></div>

well said. and he has so he would know.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

thanks to mentori!!! i have had alot of trial and error on my lil 400

Old 02-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the replies. Onesavage what mod seemed to make the biggest improvement on the low end. I'm tired of shifting in and out of Low for hills I think I should be able to climb in high no problem. I still don't want to lose any top speed I just don't care how fast I get there.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

in my trial and error i found the K&N,dyno-jet and the aaen performance muffler to have the best grunt on take off..the drawback is the aaen is LOUD it sounds real good but just too loud for the types of rideing i do,i sent it back..if i did it all over again i would go k&n,dynojet,and a dalton clutch kit.. you will loose a little top end but you will get out of the hole so much quicker, who cares if you loose 5mph..i sure the heck dont..if you want to buy my heelclicker and try that i will sell/shipping included for 150.00usd..good luck on you quest GRASSHOPPER!!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

thats why i always say, "theres no replacement for displacemnt". your riding a heavy bike w/ limited power, so matter what you add on the gains most likely wont be what you except. when i had a 335 that was my biggest complaint as it was a dog in high range. in low range, any of these bikes would most likely move a house(so to speak), but its the take off and top end that mae me want a bigger cc bike. just a thought.