Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fram Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fram Oil Filters

I've been reading some old postings on here bashing Fram oil filters. I guess I am looking for a reason why not to buy this filter.

It's at Walmart and easily available. THe other posts didn't say why several didn't like it. Can you tell me why you like it or don't like it? Polaris single cylinder, FRAM PH6017A same as Napa 1538 same as Polaris. Anyway, I'd like to read your thoughts on Fram oil filters, so let's have 'em.

The Napa one I bought was $11 (they only had the gold, their upper end brand) and a Polaris one I can get for $9, but the Fram I think was around $4. I'd like to find one cheaper than the dealer price.

OK, give it to me.................

Old 02-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fram Oil Filters

I think the Frams are cheaply made compared to some others. The Purolator filters were some of the best from what I read. I'll see if I can dig up the post.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Fram Oil Filters

Most people probably have read this site. Truth is, if they were junk, someone would have already sued and won, or the OEMs would say to not use them. Most people bash them because of the glued ends, on the filter elements...the same people who are clueless about how airplanes are glued together and yet can fly on them without issue.
There isnt 10 cents worth of difference between the filters, so why pay more? The WIX is a good brand and so is the basic , cheap Wallys world brand...supertech.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.c...mables.html#OilFilters

Old 02-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Old 02-23-2008, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer
Default Fram Oil Filters

Fram blows chunks.

Period. Pretty well known fact IMHO.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fram Oil Filters

1) mobil 1
2) wix
3)purolator pure one

any of the three (3) are proven to be the best filters in the market.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fram Oil Filters

I have a little background running Fram...err..to much background.

I ran them exclusively for a few years...hey, wallmart had them CHEAP!!

...2 seperate incidents...First time, driving down the highway, guy pulls along side me and points me off the road, waving his arms..what the heck...I pulled over, as did he and explained how I just started spraying oil, it was on his windshield...oops. I checked the oil, it was still in the normal range but low. Looked under the truck and could see the spray of oil had been coming from the filter. So I crawled underneath, pulled the filter...had to jam a screw driver in to loosen it, didn't have the wrench...that sucked. I do keep a jug of oil and filter in the topper...luckily. Inspected the filter,looked fine...till I noticed a slight bulge in the gasket?? Wierd. It bulged on the filter side and caused a fine spray of oil. Glad the guy stopped me. This was just a odd happening, I didn't blame the filter/Fram, just felt I got a bad gasket.

About 6 months later, wifes car...she says check engine came on as she pulled in the driveway, hot summer day? I checked it, it was full but the stick had chunks on it, some small, some a little bigger. I changed the oil, it was chunky! Checked the filter, the inside disintigrated! It was all chunks of paper!! I then researched filters...found that Fram has a terrible name, lots of bad press. Wish I knew earlier. Had it towed to the dealer$$, they flushed the motor and shut the check engine light off...They also claimed this wasn't the first Fram they've seen fail, the last one they dealt with had a trashed motor!! I switched both vehicles to Purolator "pure one", as well as both my outboards. I will never run a Fram filter again...I had about 8 extras, a few for each vehicle/motor, I returned them.

This seems to be pretty common knowledge, just wish I knew earlier. Luckily there was zero damage, ill effects to either vehicle. That I know of...I sold that car a month later. Truck is still here and running fine...luckily.

FRAM JUNK.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fram Oil Filters

I dunno I've worked at places that used exclusively Fram filters, and I have never seen any more problem with them than any other filters. I don't recall any issues with the filters failing with more regularity compared to others.

Fact is for years they were considered the best filters by some people.

I will agree that Wix are probably the best of all the store brands. But I've never seen any significant difference between Fram or Purolator or AC or Motorcraft etc........

The only issues I've ever seen with oil filters was when I worked at Sears years ago, we had an issue with Purolators clogging up.

Then I remember a few years ago, the Motocraft FL400s filters were recalled because the rubber gaskets were made with too hard of a compound and people were not getting them tight enough so they leaked..... the service bulletin suggested wrenching them on past torque specs and that solved the problem.

I guess you can get a bad batch of anything really...... but if Fram has gotten that bad that people are having those problem then I would agree not to use them.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fram Oil Filters

for whats its worth i read a survey on fram filters and know a shop w/ bad experince w/ one of them. there are like 3 or 4 differnt grades and its the ceaper of the bunch that has the internal problems coming apart. i think its the tough gaurd that is the best of the bunch. ive run pretty much nothing but ram on al my autos w/ synth. oil w/ no problems(knock on wood). but when it comes to wheelers or my bike i most of the time would buy name brand as i omly change oil once a year.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fram Oil Filters

i have been using fram since I started chaning oil 22 years ago and never had a problem. I never buy the cheapest grade though so that may be why I dunno, but after reading these posts I may switch brands

Oh and can someone show me a filter that ISNT glued somewhere?

Quick Reply: Fram Oil Filters