Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need help 2003 Sportsman 700 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008 | 07:55 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Need help 2003 Sportsman 700 EFI

I am helping out a friend who has the sportsman 700 EFI. He has had problems with the quad shifting from gear to gear..... it is just frozen all the time. So after he first got it brand new he took it to the dealer and they simply said it needed lubricated in the gear selection box. well he said that did not help really. a few months ago i was riding with him and he could not get the thing to go from gear to gear as ususal. prime example, whenever he would need to get into reverse he would stop, depress the hand and foot brake firmly and attempt to change gears but it was just froze? i rode it and same thing. The harder he would push the more stress on the gears and you guessed it, the teath broke on the gear selecter inside the box. I just replaced the gear and lubed up everything and the thing shifts perfect........only when it is turned off! whenever you turn the bike on if it is in neutral you can shift it into low and go but once you stop and say you want to go into reverse it will not budge. now if you turn the quad off but leave the key on it will shift into neutral or reverse or anywhere you want just fine. What is the problem? i know there is the sensor on the foot brake but we always make sure the brake is fully depressed before shifting. what else could it be? One thing i did notice is that once you shift it into a gear it wants to move on ya, you really have to keep the brake on to keep the quad from moving. Now the idle does not sound too high to me but maybe it is. how do you adjust something like that on a EFI bike? any help would be great. we are drawing blanks here.

Old 02-25-2008 | 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

Try this first.
If you follow the throttle cable up the throttle box. You will see 2 plastic sleeves that come together. That is an adjustment for the throttle cable. What is the rpm's at idle?? When the machine is at idle, try turning it back. Then try shifting. If it still shifts hard, then time to go plan B

Old 02-25-2008 | 08:38 PM
|
Pro Rider

is plan b possibly involving the clutch? i just did some researching on here and found some threads that were talking about belts and clutch problems involving a brass or fiber washer? by the way now that i think about it it does try to creep away at idle. I mean if you were to get off of it it would drive away! unfortunately i have a ds650 and a raptor 700 so i know nothing about automatic clutches although i am a pretty good mechanic. give me some tips info here please. dont want to mess up my buds quad.

Old 02-25-2008 | 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

It's the electronic throttle control (ETC). Should be 1/16 to 1/8 free play in the throttle.

Old 02-26-2008 | 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

If its idleing correctly, about 1100-1150 rpm, then its clutching problems in the primary clutch, ebs washers or clutch buttons worn out, also look at the front motor mount and make sure its not broken, get a bar and see if you can move the motor side to side, this happened to mine.

Old 02-27-2008 | 08:13 PM
|
Pro Rider

Ok guys- I have made sure the throttle has a small amt. of play and it idles at 1100=1150 rpms.. it still wants to creep away and it will not shift from gear to gear with the engine running. where do i go from here. i would assume something is wrong in the clutch. I am gonna remove the cover tomorrow and get a look at it but what am i looking for? please help me out here. any and all info is appreciated. I gotta get this thing going for my buddy. he never rides it! no joke this thing has been used to plow his driveway and 1 ride with me. it has 40 hours on it!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2008 | 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

I'm certain you've checked this, but just in case...

There's a spring that connects the foot brake lever to the transmission. The spring looks like a muffler spring, with loops on each end. The spring pulls on a lever that permits shifting into certain gears. On my machine, that spring is loose (on my list of things to fix) and shifting can be a bear unless I basically STAND on the foot brake lever. Only then does the spring pull enough on the transmission lever to permit easy shifting.

I would look at that spring and see if it's doing what it is supposed to be doing. It's definitely having an effect on mine... but not for much longer!

Report back!

Old 02-28-2008 | 01:31 AM
|
Pro Rider

I already had that spring off and actually had all the gears out of the small case on the side. it is fine. thanks for the input though. it has to be something in the clutch. SOMEBODY HAS GOT TO KNOW WHAT WASHERS GO BAD ETC. THAT CAUSE THIS THING TO CREEP WHEN IN GEAR. THE IDLE IS CORRECT!!! somebody, anybody give me some tips. I know this has happened to someone on here.

Old 02-28-2008 | 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

sounds like the EBS washers are bad in it, you'll have to take the drive clutch off the machine and take it to the dealer, because they have special tools to take the clutch apart, have them replace the washers, shouldn't take more than an hour to do. also check and see how many washers are on the driven clutch shaft, if there are 3 or more shims back there, take one out and then try it, should get a lot better to shift and won't creep.

Old 02-28-2008 | 01:50 AM
|
Pro Rider

what kind of special tools are needed, i have access to pretty much anything. secondly will i need anything special to get the primary off? thanks

Quick Reply: Need help 2003 Sportsman 700 EFI