Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is this shock bad video

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this shock bad video

WOW!!!!..I would get in touch with your dealer........BEFORE you replace them out of your own pocket!!!.Caper......

Old 03-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it needs replacing as the rebounding is gone for sure.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i guess im stupid cuz i disagree with all of you. When I replaced my springs both my shocks reacted the same way and they only had 60 miles on them when I replaced the springs. The shocks are not supposed rebound they have no springs and are filled with oil and have dampers inside that control how fast they go in and out. I have also seen many other brand new shocks that react the same way.
if you push it in slow it will go easy - push it in fast and it wont go in so easy. It depends on the rate of compression with the internal valves.
without my srpings on, the rod easliy compressed into the shock body. both of them - like i said brand new. the shock are not preloaded - its the springs

but this is just my stupid opinion

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension2.htm read this

Old 03-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

it will go in fast

Old 03-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well im kinda stupid my self i guess because i think a shocks job is to control the amount of rebound(speed) of how fast the shock will react to bumps. i know on my sled i had i had adjustable rebound so when you hit bumps it either can come un compressed fast or slow. i reason i think the shock is bad is becasue he can pull it out as fast and easy as it can be compressed. it usually works easier one way but the other way. this of course is only my opinion and i dont claim to have all the anwsers lol. the springs for sure do the compression rate and has nothing to do w/ the shocks. they are(at least i think)suppose to control how fast the spring uncompresses after the compression on it because if it didnt the bike would be a bucking bronco. imo.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stendori...I like you trying to compare this to other shock relations, sleds,cars trucks....etc.......just like you.
I know most shocks I worked with have rebound speed also in or out!!!
I not too sure on these ATV shocks due to the weight compared to the others(and soft ride sportsman are know for)..........But the bottom line is if the shock goes in just as fast as it comes out!!!!!!.........Why do we need them at all?????
Maybe we can all just use our "SPRINGS" for our Polaris smooth ride!!!.............NO!!!!!............Caper...... .....

Old 03-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Like Caper said, a shock should have a good amount of force that would make the shock go out to its full length. It shouldn't be "easy" to compress. When I did my springs I really had to jack up the quad to get the old springs off and new ones on because of the strut. They should be under pressure, not barely extending. Springs take the weight, shocks cushion the up and down motions.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

when i did my lift hl springs at 1000 miles my shock were the same way,, i thing they are shot !! but man them hl did the trick,hardly any bounce now firm,but not too firm..

Old 03-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

well this morning after shock had been laying on the ground all night i pushed it in and it won't come out unless you pull it out

Old 03-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

nitrogen filled shocks will extend on there own but hydraulic shocks don't, if you feel resistance in and out both sides the same your shocks are OK, these are not auto shocks!

Quick Reply: Is this shock bad video