Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

belt turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt turning

Thanks Wayout.

I just got in 2 2002 Polaris atvs, a 400 and 500 Sportsman, this afternoon for oil/filter changes.
While the owner was unloading them I noticed he was having trouble shifting them both. I took a quick look and they both need some clutch alignment work, I mentioned I could get them to shift easier. He said he had them both back a couple times to the Polaris shop and was told thats how they work and its OK.
He'll be happy when he picks them up Friday.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default belt turning

Now that read really well Rick. Are you refering to a clutch alignment tool? And then adding or removing shims from behind the secondary clutch? Thanks Doc

Old 03-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default belt turning

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: drlang

Now that read really well Rick. Are you refering to a clutch alignment tool? And then adding or removing shims from behind the secondary clutch? Thanks Doc</end quote></div>

Yes an alignment tool or whatever you need to do to get them close. Most are very close from the factory and all you need to do is shim or loosen the lower mount and move one way or another.
If you remove the engine you should use the tool, at least bolt it in the same spot as before should get you close.

RICKCJ7, way to make friends there buddy..i always thought you were trolling for trouble,thanks for pointing that out to me .. WE ALL ought to just send all of our questions to dickcj7 pm box so we MAKE sure we get the correct answers,and not even think that OUR WELL RESPECTED members might have enough FIELD tested wisdom to help .. good thing for us that you are a master tech and know it all..

savage out!!!

Thanks onesavage! I guess you can't take criticism well either!
Respect is given where deserved!
dickcj7 out!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default belt turning

I see Stendori edited his posts and I respect that!
I'm editing mine also.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default belt turning

Sten........
Hey no need for you to edit anything....There's alot of guys here who value you response more than you know.......Including me.........

CJ7..
Well doesn't look like you edited jack son......Maybe the next time you want to preach your know it all yaya, take it to another forum......We don't need jacka$$ comments like that here......You may have some know how but learn how to word it.....

John

Old 03-18-2008, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default belt turning

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JCDEYO25

CJ7..

Well doesn't look like you edited jack son......Maybe the next time you want to preach your know it all yaya, take it to another forum......We don't need jacka$$ comments like that here......You may have some know how but learn how to word it.....

John</end quote></div>

I edited any comments about him out of my posts, just left the other info as is.
I word it just fine, I can't help there are a bunch or sensitive sissies in the world!

So whats your problem?
Your stupid comment makes no matter to me. Call me some more names. I"m sure you can do better.
I'll just have to put you on my **** list! No free info for Johnny. HAHA

Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default belt turning

Dickcj7, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default belt turning

THIS IS MY FINAL POST on this thread and you guessed it rick its at you. you think you have some superior type knowleadge and the rest of us are just unknowing of what we are talking about. yes i said we and not me. i like what "drlang" said when he spoke about how i always put "my guess, or im not sure" on my post becasue thats excatly how i treat them if i dont know for sure. i gave what i thought to be true info(because thats the way it is w/ my bikes)on wayouts post question and i still stand by it. i edited my post because im not to get into a pissing match about this. your problem you have created in a short time is your personal atacks which in the past of other people have doen and have been removed from this forum by the moderators for misconduct. you have seen peoples opinions(good people i might add) on how this thread was received and its not just because of myself either as they would respond like this w/ any good person. so w/ my graditude and for all the good people involved, lets let this thread/post die w/out any further comments. thanks guys. stendori.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default belt turning

I had some comments that I intended on posting this morning, but I'll refrain out of respect for your wishes Stendori......as well as I do believe enough information has been posted to help out on the original problem/question about the belt turning.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default belt turning

So many things to say here, but I'm staying out of it out of respect for everyone here.

Rick I am also a licensed mechanic and I'm still here to learn. Yes I've been to trade school and graduated top of my class. Yes I passed my CFQ with a 92%. Heck even some of the oldest guys in the shop come to me for advice. Am I bragging?? Not at all. When I come on here I'm here to help. There are a lot of times I've been proved wrong and a lot of times I was wrong, but I never got my back up. I took it with a grain of salt and learned from others here. I've noticed on a few of your posts that you are pretty persistant in your oppinions but you need to learn to sit back and try to take in what you see and read here. I'm not looking to add to the frustration here, just trying to help you understand where people are coming from.

Now as for the topic on hand, my Sportsman and old Scrambler both have the secondary turning with the bike in nuetral. Are the clutches aligned perfectly?? Yes because I've checked them both with the Polaris alignment tool. Do I have problems shifting?? No. Do I have creeping?? No. Is it normal?? In my eyes YES!!

Lets let this topic drop away into cyber-space where it belongs.

Quick Reply: belt turning