Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

buried the polaris in water

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buried the polaris in water

2001 polaris sportsman 500 H.O. Thinking that it was just a little mud puddle i went through it in 2WD. When the bottom dropped out and the bike sank it was actually 3 foot deep. LOL. The bike was still running so i shifted to AWD but the front tires were only paddling water so it went nowhere. I could not go in reverse because the AWD does not work when the button is pushed in. I decided to shut the bike off and a couple of friends pulled me out. One riding a Suzuki actually pulled me out. He laughed about pulling me out but would not try going through after watching me. LOL. My question is what do i need to do now? Will all the fluids need to be changed or not? The bike started right up and i finished the ride but i do not want to continue to ride if there is water somewhere there should not be. Thanks for the help......i am new to 4 wheelers and this stuff can be contagious. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

I would change the oil for sure
and probably every thing else too

Old 03-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How high did the water get to on the Quad?
Did it get up to the air intake (air filter cover with hole).........if it did the engine may have taken in water .......Plus if you shut it off was the tailpipe under water?..........Caper.............

Old 03-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

It was up to the air cleaner box and the tailpipe was under water. The water was close to covering both front and rear fenders. It was 30 degrees out and there i was setting in water. Boy am i glad the day before i had bought a tow rope from tractor supply and had put it in the storage compartment. What type fluid should i use? Do you think i need to change every fluid on the bike? I read something about the cover for the pull starter likes to take on water.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

first of all did you check the oil to see if any water got in it? 2nd if you contunined to drive it anyways the damage would be done. if the bike didnt stall chances are you didnt ingest any water but a quick look at the oil will tell you. i would be fixing the override or tranny switch to have awd in reverse and the suzuki guys wont be laughing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2008, 09:19 PM

Just because it reached the air box don't mean it entered!!!.......Was there water in with your air filter?.......Caper.............I would still do like Stendori said........Check the oil ...Caper.......

Old 03-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

mine was running upside down in a 10ft pond untill it hydro-locked..i did not even try to start it after it quit under water.. took it home pulled the air bax plug and man it was filled to the top,my gas tank filled up also so i had to drain that, pulled the plg and i bet i shot atleast a gallon of water out of the engine,i thought it was a goner..draind the water and oil out of the eng and filled her back up..much to my amazement it started up,but man it ran terrible for atleast a few hrs..all in all it took 8 oil/ filer changes till i was satisfied all the ater was out, changed all the other fluids once and they were fine.. still runs fine its the same UNDER-POWERED quad it"s alway been..oh ya i bet the SEAT took a month to dry completly out...that was a colad *** night at 30 degress..

Old 03-16-2008, 09:49 PM

If you were in Canada ..That seat would have been I solid chunk of ice!!!!!.....Caper.........

Old 03-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

the seat did freeze ,i had to bring it in the house ..

Old 03-16-2008, 10:01 PM

Yeh..Michigan is close enough to Canada!!!...LOL....Great story thanks for sharing that ...........I guess these Polaris can take alot!!!!.....Caper.......

Quick Reply: buried the polaris in water