Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hawkeye Rear Spring Adjustment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye Rear Spring Adjustment.

Im working on a fix for that very problem , but im also working on a bushing replacement spring for the Sway bar system on the hawkeye/sprtsman the rear is so narrow that if the either wheel moves up or down the the other wheel is meeting resistance at the same time, thus causing that stiff Suspension i figure if I give the sway bar an extra inch or 2 inches of movement before it starts ligfting the other wheel then it would soften up alot, Like sheepdog said though ive removed the sway bar and it rides super Smooth, but i had to up the preload on the shocks and it worked good , but i was Afraid i would break something and put it back on. Ill try to Post Some Pictures again " Wish me Luck" on Posting Pictures.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

get the weight off of and I had to use a 1 foot peice of Pipe or a pipewrench and I still bent the tool using a cheater bar

Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im afraid if i took the sway bar off that in corners it would tend to body roll too much causing it to be unstable in the hard corners on fast speed.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

im afraid if i took the sway bar off that in corners it would tend to body roll too much causing it to be unstable in the hard corners on fast speed.</end quote></div>

Since that is the whole purpose of the sway bar that would be a good guess.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2008, 09:17 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Thanks for the info guys.

RickeyP Know what you mean about the pic. That why I started using photobucket to post them. Once you figure that out, its a piece of cake to post.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

with teh sway bar off i think you will be able to get moresuspention travel like a twist like when they do those tests were you drive up a ramp with one front wheel untill one of the tires come off the ground. so it might be better rock crawling but it will leen and won't handle as good in the corners and when you go to hop a tree and hit it on an angle it will lean ofer on one side. when you have the sway bar it stays a lil straiter like a scrambler when you hit a tree on an angle because of teh strait axle. thats what i think at least.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

k, so its the IRS that gives it much better traction and less slide compared to a single rear shock? k, that makes alot of sense. what are the advantages to an IRS compared to a single rear shock?

Old 03-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

with at straight rear axle (single shock) both tires move together.. a little rougher ride. with the independent rear each rear tire will move by itself.. the movement is however limited by the sway bar.. (that is the metal bar that connects to each side)
check out youtube: search for "polaris hawkeye independent suspension" by vlastic this will show you how the suspension works.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

i know how it works, just curious about the effect. what if you took the sway bar off? what would happen?

Old 03-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

k, just watched the vid. so taking the sway bar off does what to the GENERAL handling? looser or more traction, etc.?

Quick Reply: Hawkeye Rear Spring Adjustment.