Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Recon vs. Sawtooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recon vs. Sawtooth

We went riding this past weekend and when my son stood up on his Eton 90 there was a good 14-18" of clearance between him and the seat - wow talk about growth mode. I need to get him on something that fits him, his knees were at such an odd angle and nearly riding on the front fenders.

We already have an 05 Recon that my older boy rides and its been fool proof, never had an issue.

I really like our Polaris dealer, but after looking at the Sawtooth I'm not really impressed except it has front disc brakes while the Recon uses a drum. But I've had no problems with the Recon either.

The Sawtooth is auto, the Recon is electric shift. The Sportsman 300 is too much money and too big. The final factor is the brakes on the Sawtooth seem very hard to pull back on, the Recon's are not.

Can anyone see any reason not to buy another Recon?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

you can't go wrong with a recon

ive had a polaris and it was crap

i love my recon and you can get really great deals at Chattanooga tn, honda dealer

Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

ya my buddys forman 450 is very relieable ,never been i the shop..but man it sure does spend alot of time on the tow strap getting drug back to high ground.. but yes very relieable,an a heck of a lot lighter than my sportsman

Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

i had a polaris 90 till i was 13 then got my recon

recon rocks

Old 03-18-2008, 10:15 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I do not think there is a unreliable ATV, in the entry level 200-250 class. I read a Dirt wheel shoot out between 250 2wd Utility ATVs and it was kind of like reading a shootout between Micro wave ovens in terms of interest ,the 250s just to simple without features to have a edge over one another.

I think drum brakes are good enough on that size and class of machines. The only deciding factor I would consider is does you boy want to bother shifting gears or not.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

polaris makes a great atv doesn't matter if it 2/4 or 4/4 the brake lever is harder because it is more responsive i can lock up all 4 wheels on my atvs and they are 2001 and 1998 so they are warn the fron't do work better than the back most of the time.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

I've owned both, currently still have the Sawtooth that my daughter rides. She loves the automatic transmission, ie; F-N-R. The 5 speed electric shift on the Recon I had was unreliable, sometimes you hit the button to shift and it woudn't do anything. Other than that the Recon was typical Honda dependable. The Sawtooth hasn't had a single problem. Both are strong enough for a kid. I take the Sawtooth for a spin every now and then to make sure its running right, and its a fun ATV.

I can't fault either one.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt even think of the Sawtooth and go with the REcon but with foot shift.It is one of the best small quads on the market

Old 03-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

one of my friends has a recon and likes it pretty well but i do beleave they've had ele. shift issues but not sure.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

wait a sec here guys get the suzuki ozark its better than a recon. my buddys wife has one and she had to get aftermarket skids cause of the low ground clearance. mt ozark has 8.3 and it never hits anything. its faster more sporty than the recon as well.

Quick Reply: Recon vs. Sawtooth