Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Carb leaking gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb leaking gas

Hello All,

For those of you who helped me with my clutch issues - Thanks again. I did get it fixed. I needed a new clutch. I have it on now and seems to be working good. No creeping anymore. However, I now have another problem that I realized while digging into this clutch. When the gas is "on" and the engine is turned off, the gas will leak out of the bottom of the carb. If I turn the switch to "off" no gas leak. Any idea why this is happening?

FYI...Most of you probably know this, but I was told by the mechanic who helped me with my clutch that if you are going less than 20mph, you should be in low at all times. High is for anything over 20mph. I always thought low was just for pulling, plowing, etc. hmmm

2001 sportsman 500 h.o. duse

Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Carb leaking gas

20 mph is a bit fast for L range. If you're going to be riding consistently below 10 mph, or pulling/pushing a load, going through mud, deep sand, trying to unstick yourself, etc., use L range. Everything else use H. H range should be your primary gear, L range should be used only for these other specific riding situations.

As far as the gas leak, is it leaking from the float bowl gasket or lower? If so, shouldn't be too hard to remedy. Make sure the float bowl screws are not loose. Make sure the float bown drain plug is not loose. Make sure the float bowl drain screw is snug. There's a rubber o-ring on the drain screw that might need to be replaced if it still leaks past this screw. If all that is good and it still leaks, the fuel shut off valve/plunger that is actuated by the float is stuck open. You'll have to remove the carb to get to that. The other things you might be able to do with the carb on the bike.

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Carb leaking gas

i had the same exact thing on my 400 sport the other day i gues my fuel shutoff wasn't working eather because it never stopped all of teh way i took everythoing i had to take off to get to the carb took it of the boot lect choke cable and throtel cable on and just turned it over a lil bit and my drian on my bowl was look that 17 mm at teh bottomwith the o ring just tightened it up and stopped been good ever since.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb leaking gas

I BET THE INLET needle/seat is either sticking or it needs replaced, when they fail gas will keep filling the bowl thus running out the overflow tube

Old 03-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default Carb leaking gas

mine did the same thing. try tapping on the float bowl (under the carb) with the end of a screwdriver and that didnt work on mine so then i had to take the airbox off and disconect the carb and take the float bowl off then take some carb and choke cleaner and spray everything down with it, that fixed mine. if all else fails than your needles in your float might be bad. hope this helps.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Carb leaking gas

is it comeing out of the overflow line or the carb?

Old 05-25-2008, 02:56 AM
Trailblazer
Default Carb leaking gas

pull the bowl off and blow air thru the main jet. i did this to mine and the jam popped up the floats been all good ever since