Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

28's on a Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:23 PM
JKW
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28's on a Sportsman

Is anyone running a 28" tall tire on thier Sportsman? How much lift, fender mods, or any other info? The rear looks to have plenty on clearance. I've been searching previous posts and haven't come up with much. I was searching for some rear wheel bearing info, remember a 02 Sportsman Freedom 500 running 28" tall tires, maybe? 27's looks to be the most popular, by far. Didn't want to post another topic, but, sold the 26" Mudlites. Bike's on jack stands in the garage next to the other project on jack stands! Mud season is near!
Thanks Guys
Saturday nite kickin back and have a few drinks!

Old 03-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

imo. the 28" tires would be too much for the 500 but they do run them but w/ a lift kit. over on the high lifter forums, the swap boys run alot of the big tires(28" and up) and cornered the market on the lift department.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

I've got 28" Mudzillas on mine and with the clutch kit and lift it works pretty good.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:59 AM
JKW
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SCRAMMYTODD

I've got 28" Mudzillas on mine and with the clutch kit and lift it works pretty good.</end quote></div>

SCRAMMYTODD; Did you have to trim any plastic or have any rubbing? Wouldn't happen to know the backspacing on your front wheels?
Thanks
Happy Easter Folks!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

I don't have any rubbing or trimming. I have a 1" lift in the front and EPI HD front springs for a total of about 3 1/2" lift and the rear I have a Rubberdown 2" rear lift. The wheels I have are Douglas Rattlesnakes with a 4+3 backspacing. I'm running 10" wide Zillas on the front and they are about 1/4" away from the tie rod end with 4 psi in the tires. I haven't got a lot of riding on them but from what I have they didn't really kill a lot of my power. I've only been out in the snow so I'll wait to see how well it feels in the soupy stuff and the skeg in the swamps.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

If you search for topic "spring has sprung" theres a picture of my new tires and wheels

Old 03-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it will be in the mud i would be wrried about in power issue. but w/ it in l.range and the kit in you most likely wont have too much issue. hows the fuel milage going to be you think? you'll be running down w/ the bad 800's fuel milage lol.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

Well they say hindsight is 20/20 right? LOL I shoulda bought an 800 but I wasn't planning on getting this carried away. As far as fuel milage I'm not really too worried about it. Usually when we're out the Polaris and AC seems to be the only ones with fuel after a hard day. In another few weeks I'm hoping to get into the mud and realy try them out. Shifting to low is never a problem for me, usually I'm crawling in Low 2wd trying to get stuck and then a click into 4wd when I'm not going any farther. Just to see how far I can go. I might go ice fishing tomorrow so I'll give it a try on the lake and see if I lost any speed

Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 PM
JKW
Trailblazer

SCRAMMYTODD and stendori thanks for all your input.
Leads to more questions! Your 04 and later Sportsmans look to have more clearance than the 02 and earler models, at the lower rear of the front wheel well? The tie rod clearance shouldn't be a problem with the right back spacing. Less back spacing, moving the tire out, makes fender clearance more of a problem. I'm sure you guys are well aware, of that. I've been doing some measuring, with the suspension compressed, to close for comfort! If I had a wheel and 28" tire to try on there, that would tell the story. Probably going to, play it safe with 27's. I've been looking at 800's, if I was smarter, would've left it alone and passed the 500 on to the wife. Quoting the Scarecrow "If I only had a brain!"
Thanks Again Guys

Old 03-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

I think with some lift you won't have too much clearance problems. Have a look around the Rubberdown forum. I know there are a lot of guys running big tires on the older bikes.

Quick Reply: 28's on a Sportsman