Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Creeping Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Creeping Clutches

I have an 02 Sportsman 500 and an 02 Sportsman 700.

Both have developed a "creep" when put into gear. The 700 has gotten so bad that you have to turn it off to change gears. The idle speed is set as low as possible without stalling the quad, and both have new belts on them.

What would cause this?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the primary clutch apart and check the bearings in big pulley. If you catch it in time before the bearings come apart. You can usually tear everything apart and clean with the famous WD40 and other lubricants for high speed bearings.

Should take care of it. If not, probaly the clutch....>$300.00

Old 03-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

Check the clutch alignment. Both engines can be pivoted slightly at the front if need be in order to adjust alignment. A manual helps out a lot with this stuff. Check the motor mounts to make sure they're not broken.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the replies - I've been into both clutches, and the one way EBS bearing seems to be fine on both.

When you take the belt off, and put it back on, it works fine for the first few minutes - until you accelerate the first time, then they return to acting up with this "creeping".

Somewhere on the "net" I found a post about having to add shims inside the drive clutch - anyone know anything about this??

Thanks

Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

With the clutch cover off, start it in nuetral and look down into the front clutch, is the belt centered in the sheaves? or riding on one side or the other?
If so it's out of alignment. So what changed?
Check the motor mounts, good?
If not replace bad mount and align the clutches.
You allready said you checked the clutches and they are good?
So it has to be an alignment problem, the shims wouldn't change. Unless you changed clutches.

When idling in nuetral you want to get the belt centered in the sheaves so it's not turning the belt and secondary clutch.
Non EBS belt will float/turn a little but no turning on a EBS.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider
Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Range Rover

Rick - The alignment is good, per the manual, had that happen to the 700 sometime before, and the front mount on the 700 actually has some sorts of adjustment compared to the 500.

Harley - That post makes sense, and that is the kind of info I was really looking for - I'm ordering some "washers" per Polaris parts diagrams to see if this works. I have all the clutching tools to do this, just didn't know where to go.....

Thanks for all the replies - I will post back if this solves the problem.......

Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Range Rover

WHEN YOU DISASSEMBLED THE PRIMARY, HOW FAR DID YOU TEAR IT DOWN , DID YOU REMOVE SPIDER? IF YOU DIDN'T YOU MISSED THE PROBLEM.

HOW MANY MILES ON BOTH MACHINES? WHEN THEY WERE NEWER, BEFORE PROBLEM STARTED, DID YOU LET THEM SIT AND IDLE WHILE IN GEAR?

Old 03-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 06 700 did this creed thing and it was a broken motor mount up front and they replaced my primary clutch

Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Range Rover

Finally got the "washers" in yesterday and installed them on the 700 today - The clutch works just beautifully, like a new one - no more "creeping". Taught my dad a lesson too, as he has always just sold the customer a new clutch to fix the problem.

Harley, the fiber shim cut to fit under the brass shim ended up being too tight - the 1 way bearing would not spin when torqued down by the spider. Ended up with just the fiber shim on the inside, and a new brass shim on the outside.

Thanks for all the replies.

Quick Reply: Creeping Clutches