Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

mods for 500 sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mods for 500 sportsman

well guys i'v just joined and the info is great .I'v got 2 500s and I'm wondering if any of you have done anything to increase performance ie chips, exhaust,kn filters and what you have to work the best. Also one of you guys had put an override switch by the work light switch were would one get those.And someone had a radiator protector looks great just wondering the name thaks again

Old 03-28-2008, 04:34 AM
Trailblazer

i would def. go for the filter and do a jet kit too. just check out my specs if you have any ?'s

Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can buy the override kit from quadovater or make your own. here is a post w/ the jamhard raditor protectors. here is quadovaters web site as well.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Monin Family Guy
You might want to check this company out also. Their coming out with some good parts for Polaris,,
Go to the middle of this page. http://www.atv-guru.com/Polaris%20bumpers.htm

Here's my setup from them,, http://img.photobucket.com/alb.../hobbles/ATV/pt-9.jpg

I like their workmanship and they are a pleasure to do business with..

Old 03-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wil get more gains from a clutch kit such as a Dalton or HPD kit.I would go with a UNI or Twin Air filter on your Sportsman.K&N is great but if you get it wet you are stuck the foam ones you can wring out the water and keep going.The exhaust is a decent mod but makes them loud and doesnt give as much gain as you would think.How ever you go about modding do one thing at a time so you can tell exactly what it does.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:27 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Hey Guys, keep in mind that a K & N filter is just that. It is meant to do a superior job of cleaning the intake air. It should not increase performance. IF a performance gain is felt, it is because the carb jetting is off a bit.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mongrol

Hey Guys, keep in mind that a K & N filter is just that. It is meant to do a superior job of cleaning the intake air. </end quote></div>

Too bad they don't.

I used to run them on several vehicles over the years, and have learned the hard way they cause more issues than the slight gains you receive. I don't think Uni or AFI or anybody else is any different. They pass more air because they don't filter as well as OEM spec'd units.

Do what you want though, it's your choice.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:08 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I always like Mythbuster posts Oilbrnr. For years I was invovled in the highperf auto business and was always amazed at how a $50.00 aftermarket part could screw up millions of dollars of the mfg's engineering.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

Uh, Mongrol, I *think* you're supporting my comment?

Assuming your are, or regardless, one has to stop and think. IF these filters were that great for performance and/or economy they would come equipped that way from the manufactures. They would be a no-brainier CAFE tool.

Again, it all boils down to how long you want your engine to last, and at what slight jump in performance you'd like to pay for. I do that everyday with my reprogrammed Dmax, which is a tad more expensive than a 500.

You take your chances, and pay the toll...

Old 03-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factorys do what they can to keep costs down.So why put a $50 filter on when a .50 filter will do.
Different type of material flow dif amounts of air.A propperly set up foam or glaze filter will flow more air than a paper one any time.
It is true that the aftermarket ones dont raise hp much and can lean you out a shade(most 4stroke come rich from factory)But yet again if you go with an exhaust system it works like more air in more air out.
If you go back to my previous post on this topic you will see my reason for recomending a foam filter over the K&N or stock was that when the stock or K&N get wet they are shot until you replace or clean and/or oil them.Foam can have the water wrung out and get you going on the trail

Quick Reply: mods for 500 sportsman