Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

All wheel drive problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All wheel drive problem

Yes it is a deluxe and yes I did put demand drive fluid in the front diff. because thats what the owners manual said. I did check the level of the ADC fluid it looked fine. Am I not supposed to put demand drive fluid in the front gearcase? And or what should I use? And the noise im hearing is pretty noticeable. I havent heard it before.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Old 03-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

The proper fluid for the ADC front differentials is Premium LT fluid. Check the below thread:

http://forums.atvconnection.co...ght_key=y&keyword1=LT

Either way, if your front differential is making a bunch of racket, something has failed or is about to fail.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

If you do a search for "LT" or "LT fluid" you'll find numerous other threads about this. Scrammytodd lost his front differential due to the wrong fluid in there. I still have my fingers crossed that my differential won't go south on me due to having the wrong fluid in there for a short amount of time. It seems that some of the owners manuals (mine included) have the wrong information in there.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Also, to answer your original question, you can engage the AWD switch when in motion, just not when the rear wheels are "spinning" as in reduced traction. If the front and rear wheels are rolling at the same speed, moving the switch in and out of AWD won't hurt anything. The system isn't supposed to initially engage if the engine speed is higher than I believe its 3,300 RPM.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

Just thought of something while I was snowplowing tonight and my plow mount/hinge pins were making all kinds of racket. Have you installed anything that might have a loose bracket or anything like that? Or anything else that might be rattling and making it sound as if its in the differential and its really not?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I do have a plow mount but that isnt the issue. The noise is definately coming from the front gearcase. Now back to what scrammytodd said about the premium lt fluid, is that a polaris lube? I guess I dont understand why polaris would recommend to run the demand drive fluid in the front diff. when scrammytodd says not to run it because it will cause noises. The owners manual says specifically to put polaris demand drive fluid in it.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sprtman500jer

I do have a plow mount but that isnt the issue. The noise is definately coming from the front gearcase. Now back to what scrammytodd said about the premium lt fluid, is that a polaris lube? I guess I dont understand why polaris would recommend to run the demand drive fluid in the front diff. when scrammytodd says not to run it because it will cause noises. The owners manual says specifically to put polaris demand drive fluid in it.</end quote></div>

In my 07 owners manual it says

Demand Drive fluid(front gearcase)
use Demand Drive LT Premium Fluid

on page 89 under lubrication guide in maintanance section.

I'd get the correct LT fluid in there ASAP and hope its OK.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Both fluids are Pure Polaris. Polaris screwed up on this one no doubt. There are some factory publications that mistakingly don't list the LT fluid, like the owners manual for my '07 800 Deluxe. And there are others that do list the LT fluid. Please check the thread I linked in one of my replies above.

Fact is that the front differentials with ADC must have the LT fluid in there.

ADDED:

Its not that Polaris says to use one and Scrammytodd says to use the other. Its that Polaris got it wrong and Scrammy found this mistake because the dealer gave him the wrong fluid and it trashed his differential.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117

the owners manual for my '07 800 Deluxe. And there are others that do list the LT fluid.

Fact is that the front differentials with ADC must have the LT fluid in there. .</end quote></div>

My manual is for the 2007 X2 and it covers both the 500 and 800.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

O.K I'm pretty sure that the problem is the wrong fluid in the gearcase. My polaris dealer gave me the wrong fluid and Im in the same situation that scrammytodd was in. My dealer is supposed to contact polaris about this problem and go from there. They didn't have the demand drive fluid on the shelf when I changed the oil back in august. Now its there? This is crazy! Im praying that polaris covers this under warranty, Im only 1 month out. If not ill have to buy it myself and thats just not right. The front diff. costs about $820 dollars. Does anyone know if the inside components are parts polaris sells. Im trying to find a part breakdown of the front gearcase for a 2007 sprtman deluxe 500 w/adc.
Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this one out.
Jeremy

Quick Reply: All wheel drive problem