Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

All wheel drive problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All wheel drive problem

Ive got a 2007 polaris sportsman 500 with about 500 miles on it. I just recently started having problems with the all wheel drive making a grinding noise as I come to a rolling stop. I changed the oil in the case about 4 months ago and haven't rode much since then. When we went for a ride yesterday I noticed the problem occuring. Note that the all wheel drive is working but as I roll to a stop it makes a grinding noise. I also only engage the switch when I come to a complete stop, I was told that even though it's considered on demand you still shouldn't engage the all wheel drive on the go. Can anyone help me with this issue i'm having on my sportsman?

Thanks.
Jeremy

Old 03-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

AWD isn't engaged when rolling to a stop. It's been sitting a while? I'd start by checking the brakes for rust or dirt.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

o.k i'll check it out. So is the all wheel drive only engaged when it senses slippage. Can you explain to me how the system works. I thought that when the switch was on it was in constant 4 wheel drive?
Thanks,
Jeremy

Old 03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

When you turn the switch to AWD it energizes a clutch pack and when the rear wheels start to turn faster than the front a roller cage engages and you have all 4 wheels pulling, as soon as the fronts and rears turn the same speed the roller cage disengages and you have rear wheel drive a gain, and easy steering. It engages so fast and smoothly you hardly can notice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SucJve7Y0WE

Old 03-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

the awd only engages when it senses that the rear wheels are sliping. it then kicks out when the real wheels gain traction again. i think it only requires 1/8 of a wheel turn for the awd to kick in.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

You are correct. The front wheels engage when the rear wheel loose traction.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

O.K I put the atv up on a lift. The problem still occurs only with the switch on all wheel drive. Its coming from the front gearcase, it makes a grinding noise when the fornt gearcase comes to a stop, it also shakes handlebars back and forth. Its more noticable when the atv is to ground, the noise get louder. I checked the cv shafts they seem fine they have very little play nothing seems out of ordinary. I drained gearcase and inspected oil, there was no metal fragments of any kind. my next step is to put fresh oil in the gearcase and hope for the best. I dont think its going to cure it because the noise is awfully bad. Has anyone had these same symptoms or have any suggestion on whats going on. my next step is to get into the gearcase. I cant believe I have to get into the gearcase with only 500 miles on it, I have changed the oil and I used demand drive fluid like the manual said. Can anyone help?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

unless you have a bearing going bad? if its as bad as you ay in the front end have some one rev it up a little and put your hand on the front end to check for the feeling maybe to help pin point it. i agree if it was grinding there should be at least metal filinf in the oil when you drained it. imo.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:40 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Or the inside front differential roller cage on its way to becoming a million little plastic pieces?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

If it's an 07 DELUXE the Active Decent Control can be making noise as well. Is it a deluxe?? And what oil did you put in the front diff?? If it has ADC and you put demand drive fluid in it it WILL wake noise when you're slowing down and the ADC engages

Quick Reply: All wheel drive problem