Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

help with lighted license plate install

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with lighted license plate install

My parents bought a 2002 Polaris Trailblazer 250, and since my father has zero mechanical ability, I get to do some work on it! Lucky me.

I'm trying to install a lighted license plate holder. The one I have is a generic model, with only a single black wire leading to the light. If anyone knows of a lighted plate holder that is better suited for this atv, I'd be willing to get that one instead.

Would this single black wire be the hot wire, and the metal of the plate holder be the ground? I understand household electricity fairly well, but haven't gotten into automotive type electrics yet, so maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

With the key in the on position, I took off the running light/brake light reflector, removed the bulb, and touched the black wire of my plate holder to both of those contacts in the bulb holder while touching the plate holder metal to the frame for a ground, but the plate holder light never came on.

So I'm not sure how to proceed at this point. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

it sounds like you've got it right.the tail light will have 2 hots 1 will be the tail light the other will be the brake light.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

But unfortunately the plate holder light isn't coming on when I touch the wire to either of these contacts, so I'm not sure what's going on. I want to make sure I can get the light on as a test before I try to attach it.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your gound will not be very good ....jusy by touching it to the frame!!!.....Remember the Frame may have rust or paint where your trying to touch!!!!.......You will need to attach a wire to check it...............Or the bulb may be bad also!!.......buy yes to your question the one wire is the Hot 12 volts and the frame will be the ground!!......Caper.........

Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 PM

Why the lighted Plate holder?
Is this Quad for the Road?
Or you just want something different?..........Caper..........

Old 04-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

i like the wire ties on the back bumper nothing can break and it can flop around it fou hit something i wouldn't whant it to rigid for offroading if could snap off. just my oppinion.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, we're going to try to get it plated for the street. They live in the boonies, but apparently there's a barney fife type nearby who will ticket those w/o street plates.

I checked the bulb and I think it's good, but dang it's hard to see those little wires in there! Good point about the frame, I'll check that too.

Could I attach the ground wire to any nut/bolt that connects to the frame? If I got the ground wire long enough, would I want to attach it to the negative terminal of the battery?

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 PM

Any CLEAN part of the frame is fine.........If the battery is close enough (rear wheel area) then it might be the best and easy way to ground the frame of the plate holder.....If you use a bolt be sure there is no rust or paint that might affect the connection!!.....Clean the area first........Caper......