Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

is a roller clutch worth getting for a scambler 400?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 08:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am thinking about buying a roller clutch for my scrambler 400.

does anyone have a roller clutch on their scrambler 400? is it worth the money? does it make a big difference? i am looking for a stronger take off, and more pull through the midrange.

if anyone has a roller clutch, what kind is it? i know aeen makes one....anyone know if they ever got a website yet, or have a way to contact them? i did have a catalog from them, but lost it somewhere. i know hpd has one now, i have their catalog. who else makes roller clutches? does epi make a roller clutch? who in your opinion makes the best roller clutch?

hpd calls it a "shift drum conversion kit (roller clutch)" anyone use this clutch?

bigdevil '99 scrambler 400 w/rcr stage 1....soon to have a wiseco, she comes apart tomarrow. i'd like to put the roller clutch on at the same time if it is worth it.

Old 01-19-2001, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

Hi Bigdevil:

I had my scrambler for about 2 months before becoming a little disappointed with its overall performance. I installed a HPD Pipe, HPD Roller Clutch, RCR air box mod. I also found that my dealer did not have it jetted correctly (for performance). After making these changes this machine came alive. I would not change anything for the world. I still look forward to some additional engine work in the future to make it even better. I wont go into what it will beat in a drag but it does more than hold it own against anything stock and some things that have been modded. You will not be disapponted if you do it. The lag when you hit the gas is almost gone (no worse than a manuals first shift.

Do it.

KD

Old 01-19-2001, 11:56 PM
Range Rover

i was wondering the same thing for my 500. you would think more than one person would respond. thanks to the one who did!! how much are those roller clutches compared to a conventional one?

Old 01-20-2001, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

hey rpaske~
The roller clutch set up runs about 200 bucks. For the performance gain, I think they are worth it. Even with the clutch kit on my scrambler, there is still a little lag time. The roller clutch should eliminate the lag time. The normal clutch kit from HPD runs 80 bucks and the "Aggressive" kit runs about 140 bucks. I am pretty sure 2 strokes respond better to any mod, including clutch mods. The response for your 500 probabbly will not be as great as a 400, but I'm sure it would still be noticable.

Old 01-20-2001, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

I have one(Aaen) on my Scrambler400. Worth every penny. Throttle response and acceleration is much better...no more lag.

Get one...about 250$

Old 01-20-2001, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

Here is my experience with my 98 Scrambler 400 4x4.

RCR has done "the works" to it for tight woods riding/racing. This of course included clutch tuning. Rick set it up just like I asked him to, the initial engagement is not real high and it doesn't shift out early either. Acceleration is smooth and very strong.

This set-up was raced a couple times and although very good I thought it could be better, especially when opening the throttle completely from 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I called Aaen performance, spoke with Olav himself, described to him my current modifications and settings, told him my expected results and ordered his enclosed ramp roller action clutch kit.

The kit goes on easily and is very well manufactured. The enclosed instructions assume you know a little about your clutch, but are easy to figure out.

Because my system had already been fettled so much and was tuned pretty well I did not feel an incredible difference. The difference came into play if you know what the roller action clutch does. Reaction time to throttle input is much improved. I punch it wide open from idle and instead of a wheelstand after a few moments I get an INSTANT wheelstand. It is easier to set up for jumps, bumps or other obstacles since you do not have to calculate the delayed reaction time of the button type stock system.

If you just putt around and have a fairly stock quad my guess is the improvements would go largely unnoticed.

If you ride hard or especially if you race and have a high horsepower machine and know what to expect it is worth every penny.

I plan on experimenting with the spring position adjustments when the weather warms up. I feel the system can be even better adjusted to my engine, riding style and weight.

I hope this helps out. If anyone else has findings contradictory to mine post them and maybe we can improve on your results.

Paul

Old 01-20-2001, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Paul, I have the Aaen roller also. Olav told me to set it to 2-2...whatever that means. He had a choice of differently angled "helixes" (not sure what the part is called in the roller, but close enough)and he sold me the most common one. Is this the one you have? The difference was amazing. Instant throttle response. If you do try different settings please let me know what affects it has on the ride. I do not want to start fiddling with my settings right yet...don't have enough knowledge of the workings.

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2001, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Xplor
Did you ad your roller before or after the mods? If before did you notice a difference?

Paulrn
I am seriously considering getting one for my stock 500 is it your opinion that I may hardly notice any improvement. I`ve talked to AAEN and they aren`t very specific. They just give you the sales pitch.

Just wondering if my money would be better spent else where. I`m not sure if I want a clutch kit I just want to improve overall clutch performance.

Anyone with one on their 500 care to comment. Thanks.

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250
See my pic`s at http://www.picturetrail.com/riskracing

Old 01-20-2001, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

EasterEgg,

I added the roller after all my other mods. I fealt the power of the pipe and other mods but it was sluggish getting from the throttle to the wheels. Kinda like watching the Enterprise go to warp speed: It stretches a few seconds... than Wham! I really noticed a big difference after. It has "kick" now. No more lag.

Personally I would think that a roller clutch with a matching clutch kit(springs and weights) would really improve your quads performance.Same transmission as mine...just a different type of power curve.

When I called Darell at HPD about the roller he talked negatively about it...obviously, it was made by Aaen. When I spoke to Olav over at Aaen he explained it in detail and told me what I would notice. Same principle as on a snowmobile clutch. It was indeed well worth it.

Now if only I could transplant my Twin 670 H.O. Rotax engine in my Scrambler chassis...hmmm...
115+ horsepower...Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! No quad...and I mean no quad would ever have the ***** to say my Scram is slow! LOL

Old 01-21-2001, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Xplor
I like the way my clutch engages and works now. I can wheelie easily from a standstill and still do the slow technical stuff with the low rpm engagement. If I retain these characteristics with the roller I`ll be happy. I was hoping someone else put a roller on their stock 500 so I could have their opinion on it. I quess I`ll have to just do it nobody likes a coward right.

If I didn`t have a dislike of loud pipes I would get an RCR stage 1 kit for it. I wonder what the decibal reading on his pipe is anyway?

I did go to the dealer today and order a Fox rear shock for it to go with the dual rate springs. The dealer thinks the 10.5" travel shock will fit in mine (8.5" travel) no problem. If not I can return it. $160 cost

Zorro`s looking for a project you two could get that thing in there right? How many cylinders is that anyway

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250
See my pic`s at http://www.picturetrail.com/riskracing

Quick Reply: is a roller clutch worth getting for a scambler 400?