Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Break-in

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:06 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in

Im picking up my new quad this week...what are some good tips for breaking in a new atv...

Old 04-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default Break-in

http://forums.atvconnection.co...id/11/threadid/541080

If you search the forums for "break in" you will find lots of similar information.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 400HO, seeing that you've gone up from the 300.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Break-in

very the throttle and dont hold it fulll throttle for long period of time. did you go w/ the mudlite XL's or the AT's on the 25". i think when i get ready its going to be the 25" XL's w/ the 1" tread vs the AT 3/4" tread.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Break-in

this is a good read, check it out.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

X

Old 04-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Range Rover
Default Break-in

I had the 25" XL on the hawkeye and also have the XL on the 400 HO

Old 04-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Break-in

I am A firm believer in driving it hard when you break it in. And I have never had a engine problem and when it was stock it was quicker than other ones that were broke in easy.
But it is your quad do as you wish

Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Default Break-in

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Alpine2

I am A firm believer in driving it hard when you break it in. And I have never had a engine problem and when it was stock it was quicker than other ones that were broke in easy.

But it is your quad do as you wish</end quote></div>

I couldn't disagree more. An engine that is broken in hard developes tell tale wear patterns. If you break it in as per factory recomendations you are less likely to have warranty problems should they arise.

The first run on a high horsepower drag race engine is usually the fastest. However the total life of fthe engine running time is about 1 min.

Same principle applies, just in varing degrees. If you'r going to err, do it on the side of caution.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Break-in

Ride it like you want it to run, just dont hold it wide open for long and vary the throttle like Stendori said, dont baby it or youll have a baby.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Break-in

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mongrol

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Alpine2

But it is your quad do as you wish</end quote></div>

Mongrol I do not want to start an argument or anything but I just got done tearing my quad down for general inspection of everything had my head off inspecting the piston , cam ,valves just went over everthing for basically something to do. and found no signs of any problems actually I should of took pictures. no blow bt from the piston or anything.
You should read the article that scramblerXrated posted from mototune he has the numbers and proof.
But hey what ever works for you is fine with me and I hope you never have an engine problem or any other problems with your quad.

I couldn't disagree more. An engine that is broken in hard developes tell tale wear patterns. If you break it in as per factory recomendations you are less likely to have warranty problems should they arise.

The first run on a high horsepower drag race engine is usually the fastest. However the total life of fthe engine running time is about 1 min.

Same principle applies, just in varing degrees. If you'r going to err, do it on the side of caution.</end quote></div>

Old 04-21-2008, 11:14 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Default Break-in

Nothing to argue about, just differing opinions. I'm dealing a lot with aircraft engines and like to approach things a little more cautiously than when I was drag racing. I'd rather drive home than take the chance of a blown engine and have to be towed, but thats just personal preference. And of course, thats not a prediction, just a possibility.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Quick Reply: Break-in