Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

No more new Sportsmans on WI trails?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2001, 02:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took almost 3 months to get my reg. stickers. At first they told me I couldn't get them. Never had any problems after that. Good to hear about the WI riders, but it is bad to hear this dumba$$ law. The sport keeps getting bigger and the Government keeps making more damn laws. As a fellow WI rider, let me know what to do to help.

Old 01-20-2001, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

When the Sportsman 500 came out in 1996, it was already brought up that it is too heavy to be registered. Polaris went about trying to get the law changed to 700 lbs. We heard nothing for 5 years. Now all of a sudden the law wasn't passed and all new quads weighing over 650 lbs. will not be registered. The dealerships can't register them.

As far as I know, there's no Bombardier quad currently made that is legal to ride on Wisconsin trails. The DS650 is too wide, and all of their utilities are too heavy. How fair is that?

I don't think putting aftermarket items affects it at all. How about putting aftermarket aluminum wheels on the Sportsman? Let's face it, the law sucks, but everybody would benefit from it if Polaris cut the weight off their machines. Even the Xpedition 425 and Magnum 500 come extremely close to 650 lbs also, I think 3 pounds short?

Old 01-20-2001, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

Tim1,
It would not be a wise idea to stop selling certain models in WI. WI is one of Polaris Industries best selling states.
They would lose less money by redesigning the machine then to just stop selling it in WI.

Old 01-20-2001, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

What if the ATV was registered in another state, then have the title transfered over. Would that work?

Old 01-20-2001, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

i have never heard that about the ds being too wide, what is the limit? i was looking at the ds or raptor or something, the ds was at the top of the list so far but if i cant ride on the trails that would suck, i suppose i should call the dnr before i make any purchases

Old 01-21-2001, 03:09 AM
Pro Rider

Just use a mailing address in Mn And ride the damn thing As long as it is registered in Mn You will be Fine Would you not think?

Old 01-21-2001, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Here’s the situation as I understand it. Most of the info I’m getting on this subject is second hand or hearsay, but this is what appears to be going on. Right now the weight limit is 650#, updated at some point in the not too distant past from 500#. Due to consumer preference for the larger utility machines in the last few years the DNR has somewhat been “looking the other way” when it comes to registering the heavier machines. One only had to “fudge” the weight on the application and the DNR wouldn’t make an issue of it. Now it has become an issue, due in great part to the efforts of one Chuck Chvala, a likely well-intentioned (aren’t they all?) but misguided liberal. The weight limit is part of the state’s legal description of an ATV, as are other criteria including width. Vehicles that don’t fall within these specifications according to manufacturers delivered specs are not registerable. You can do what you want to it after you buy it, there’re no cops with scales staking out the trails.

As of the first of this year the DNR is now under mandate to enforce the weight limitation. This leaves those of us with nonconforming machines dangling from a very thin branch. Yes, the machines we now have registered won’t come under scrutiny (yet) but no new ones over the weight limit will be allowed tags.

It’s also my understanding that efforts are being made to eliminate the weight limitation. Right now it seems the most promising of these is by the DNR itself, in showing a loss of revenue for the upcoming budget if these popular machines are disallowed. But like I said, I’ve no actual first-hand knowledge of this being the case.

I’m currently trying to collect as much information as I can about this subject with the intent of joining and supporting all reasonable efforts to eliminate this oppressive law. I suggest any of you affected by this do the same. Avoidance, like registering in another state, isn’t a real solution. If I come up with anything substantial I’ll post it and I’d appreciate it if any of you would do the same.

Old 01-21-2001, 11:39 AM
ox
Pro Rider

Maybe try the Blue Ribbon. Theyu probably have facts, and ideas of what to do.

Old 01-21-2001, 12:55 PM
Range Rover

Floodrunner,
I apprecieate the low-down, as I am sure others do as well. What can we do to get this changed in an organized, timely matter. I may only be 18, but would like to be riding ATV's, even heavy ones in my future. Please send any info that arises. DaGimper00@aol.com Thanks

-Jared

Old 01-21-2001, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

hey tim1, you dont think 1 state can change the whole industry? tell me, why is the yamaha banshee the only 2-stroke preformance machine, the only state with laws about that is california. wisconsin has some of the most extensive trails of all 50 states. i can drive from superior (the northern most town) all the way down south! if polaris sees how many sprotsmen are on the trails, maby they will start making them lighter (aluminum wheels, lighter frame, swich from macpherson to standard front shocks, aluminum bumpers, aluminum handle bars, the list goes on) and we will all benifit.

Quick Reply: No more new Sportsmans on WI trails?