Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

snow plows and tracks???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow plows and tracks???

Just curious on what my polaris family thinks about the track system. Is it worth the money, and will it help while plowing snow?? Next question... What would be a good plow system??? I've heard the glaciers have been having some problems. Looking at the 54" V plow. Any one?? A little insight pleas??

Old 04-27-2008, 03:45 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

The Polaris system is one of the best. I think it is made by the co that makes the commander tracks but Polaris is one step better. In order to make the AWD into a true 4 wheel or 4 track drive, they have a smaller drive sprocket on the rear. Only 1 tooth less, but this makes the AWD sensor think the back track is spinning and locks in the AWD. To clarify this a bit, when the AWD switch is engaged, all 4 tracks are driving continually and not off and on when rear spin is sensed.

To use a plow, you have to get a set up that will allow you to put an extension on the mount to clear the Tracks up front.

The best plow system is BLACKLINE, but the most expensive.

TRacks on a quad & a plow will push snow into the back 40 real big time, plus they are a lot of fun.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:59 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I should also add that you cannot switch the AWD on while moving with tracks because of the gearing differential of the front and rear tracks. With wheels and tires, you can switch in and out of AWD as long as the rear tires aren't spinning.

If you haven't decided which TRack system you prefer, they are all pretty good.

More info at.

www.atvtracks.net

Have fun/

Also, at this website and right in the middle of the video there is some action of a quad with tracks doing some plowing.

http://www.camoplast.com/quick...atou/high/utility.html

Old 04-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey mong thanks for the information. Blackline is the plow of all plows you say, and the most $$$$. Better save my pennies then before the snow flies up here. Have to wait another year for the track system though. Thanks again mongrol

Old 04-27-2008, 10:44 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

What ever you choose will probably make you happy as all are great quality.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:18 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Here is a great video of plowing.

http://www.atvtrackskits.com/i...y=ETatou&video=plowing

Old 05-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do a good job with my Glacier plow and tires but I know tracks would be so much better. The tracks are a lot wider so you're going to need a much wider plow to clear a path for them. The only reason I don't buy tracks for winter is that they won't fit down the trails I ride.

I want to test drive a RZR with tracks. I think that would be awesome.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:02 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

The only reason I don't buy tracks for winter is that they won't fit down the trails I ride.

A great point! You don't hear that mentioned much, but it is the only downside of the tracks. They can ride narrow trails but sooner or later you have to turn around and in tight spaces it can take some jockeying around.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

After researching plows I decided on the Moose Plow RM3 with a 60" Plow. A lot of people say the Moose is much stronger than the Glacier. Many have got the Moose County Plow which is wider at one end, but I just got the regular 60" (for cost reasons). Hopefully I won't get to try it for quite some time though. I have pics of the Moose Plow on My Page (click the camera).

Old 05-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Several years ago there a severe snow storm in Michigan. You guys may have heard about the schools and businesses and <u>everthing</u> in Detroit being closed for a whole week. I live farther north and we get a LOT more snow than they do. I'm only half a block from one of the main roads that gets plowed right away, but it took the city a whole friggin' week to get around to plowing my street.

I did my whole block with my quad before they even thought about doing it. I angled the blade all the way to the right and went down the middle of the road. I turned around right past the corner and came back just past the other intersection. I kept pushing it a little farther toward each curb until I had the entire street cleaned off from one intersection to the next. Not bad for a 500. A 600 with 25% more torque would have been better but I did what I could with what I had.

That was my '01 with a CMP 50" blade with a 6" rubber snow flap on top. I put the snow flap on my Glacier plow and I'm halfway done making a back blade out of the old plow. It wouldn't fit my new quad so it's going to be a driveway and trail groomer on my friend's property. I welded both of the side shields on too.

Quick Reply: snow plows and tracks???