snow plows and tracks???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default snow plows and tracks???

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mongrol

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

The only reason I don't buy tracks for winter is that they won't fit down the trails I ride.

A great point! You don't hear that mentioned much, but it is the only downside of the tracks. They can ride narrow trails but sooner or later you have to turn around and in tight spaces it can take some jockeying around.</end quote></div>

The trails in MI are supposed to be "maintained" at 50" but the trees keep growing and it gets narrower. My 48" quad fits most of the time but my '97 was only 46" and I wedged it in between two trees on several occasions. Sometimes the front fits and the back doesn't. If you gas it it might climb up and through or you might just burn the belt. If I had tracks I would need to make a lot of detours, but it would probably be a lot easy to go over the stuff that's in the way. We have some routes and mainly trails here. The routes are mostly fire lanes 3 cars wide. That's the only chance I ever get to go WOT and wouldn't want tracks. I'd still like to try them on a snowmobile trail but can't afford them.

With my old plow and quad I used to put three sandbags on the rear rack for traction. The front end would dive when I raised the plow too. The new one is a lot better but I like to put two sandbags on anyway. I think tracks would eliminate the traction problem.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:25 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow plows and tracks???

Track width overall on my machine is 53.5 in.

Traction with tracks is seldom a problem.

If you like WOT riding, tracks aren't for you. They are a whole different mindset.

With tracks, you tend to think a long way ahead so as not to get into something that you can't get out of.

Maybe its like thinking about dating the prom queen. Sometimes its more fun just to think about it.