Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

break in oil change and..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break in oil change and..

Polaris specs? What exactly does that mean? I'd bet that Amsoil and Mobil 1 are a better oil than Polaris. Being that Polaris doesn't make their own oil, one can't even say who actually makes it. Obviously it comes from somewhere and Polaris slaps their label on it.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117

Polaris specs? What exactly does that mean? I'd bet that Amsoil and Mobil 1 are a better oil than Polaris. Being that Polaris doesn't make their own oil, one can't even say who actually makes it. Obviously it comes from somewhere and Polaris slaps their label on it.</end quote></div>

Obviously, but Polaris decides what grade and rating, and how much of which additives they put in it. It's just like car oil has API service ratings like SL, CF, CG, CH, Energy Conserving, Energy Conserving II, etc. But it's a lot more than that too, because they have different degergents, dispersants, anti-foam, anti-corosive, viscosity improvers, and all the other good stuff in it. If a bottle of oil <u>only</u> had <u>oil</u> in it, then it wouldn't matter what you buy. But each manufacturer has their own specs and Polaris is different from Amsoil, is different from Yamaha, is different from...

Old 05-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>But each manufacturer has their own specs and Polaris is different from Amsoil, is different from Yamaha, is different from... </end quote></div>
Now I'm going to have to replace my Rotella with:
Yamaha, Bombardier, Kawasaki, Briggs and Stratton, Dodge, Case, John Deere, Honda, Wisconsin, Oldmobile, Mazda, Nissan, Cadillac, Chevy diesel, Chevy small block turbo, Chevy small block supercharged (is there a difference? they sell turbo oil? must be a different spec.) Chevy big block.......Oil!!!!!
Because each has a different spec!!!! LMAO [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I need a bigger oil storage place. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] LMAO

Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Moto Psycho

Hardy har har. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] A lot of cars say "Energy Conserving 5W-30 API Service SL", but don't say Chevy, Dodge, Cadillac, whatever. I've never seen anywhere that says "USE ANY 0W-40" for quads. I have seen in my 2006 owners manual...

"CAUTION
Never substitute oils or mix brands."

And I've seen where it says that if you do use a different oil of the same weight and type, in this case 0W-40 API SH, and <u>it HAS to be API service rating SH</u>, it may not work as well, and you may have to change your oil more frequently. If you spend less money at a time, but more often, you're probably spending more money, not less. Even if it costs the same exact amount to change the oil five times with a cheaper brand, instead of four times with the recommended oil in the same time period, your just making 25% more work for yourself. I'd rather use the right oil and change it less often.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Here we go again. Not trying to sound like an oil expert, but I do know that the Amsoil Formula 4-stroke oil that I'm using is the same weight (0W-40) and API service rating (SH) that Polaris calls for, and even says in the manual that its okay to use it. Tests have been done that show Amsoil having the best rating in a 4-ball wear test (I think thats what its called), too bad they didn't include Polaris oil in the test, they just used all the other top names out there.

I think the only thing Polaris does is add tint to the oil so they know if you're using their oil or someone elses.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117

Here we go again. Not trying to sound like an oil expert, but I do know that the Amsoil Formula 4-stroke oil that I'm using is the same weight (0W-40) and API service rating (SH) that Polaris calls for, and even says in the manual that its okay to use it. Tests have been done that show Amsoil having the best rating in a 4-ball wear test (I think thats what its called), too bad they didn't include Polaris oil in the test, they just used all the other top names out there.

I think the only thing Polaris does is add tint to the oil so they know if you're using their oil or someone elses.</end quote></div>

If it's SH it's good enough. How much is a quart of Amsoil? I know it was really expensive in the 80's when I used it in my Ski-Doo. But so are all the other synthetics now.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:03 AM
Trailblazer

Its a gimmick to drive business back to the dealership. Every manufacturer does it. Reacuring sales make more money then the initial sale.

If you truly had to use it, the manual would not state that you can use 0-40w fully synthetic that is not energy conserving (which doesnt make any sense, speaking the only reason you wouldnt want the energy conserving is to keep from slipping a wet clutch).

Probally the vast majority of the fluids in the bike can be found at your local auto store. Even the dreaded front end fluid is most likely Type F transmission fluid (a lubricant that still allows friction between clutch surfaces aka the rollers in the cage).

Mind you Mobil 1 and a Napa Filter is still over $30. So my personal savings is Napa is 16 miles round trip ($2.36), the dealer is 64 miles round trip ($9.47).

At the rate I put hours on machines I'll end up doing between 4 and 5 changes this year. 4 years later I've saved enough in fuel cost to rebuild the entire motor....

Old 05-08-2008, 05:27 AM
Moto Psycho

My dealer isn't in the same city as me but is still less than 10 miles away so I don't burn much gas getting there. I let them do the work while I eat, sleep, and watch TV.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>A lot of cars say "Energy Conserving 5W-30 API Service SL", but don't say Chevy, Dodge, Cadillac, whatever.</end quote></div>
Your the person that stated each manufacture has it's own spec oil. I just listed all the manufactures I have on my place and all the different oils I need if I followed your oil instructions.
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Its a gimmick to drive business back to the dealership. Every manufacturer does it. Reacuring sales make more money then the initial sale. </end quote></div>
Ching, ching, ching, we have a winner!!!!!
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I let them do the work while I eat, sleep, and watch TV. </end quote></div>
That pretty much says it all.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Here's where you order Amsoil.<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/default.aspx
">http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/default.aspx
</a>
I run the motorcycle 10-40,https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcf.aspx
others swear by the 0-40 https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aff.aspx

Quick Reply: break in oil change and..