Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

break in oil change and..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break in oil change and..

jumbofrank, I fully agree with you as well. At the high price of your machine (6000-9000) it is not worth guessing it will work. Penny wise dollar dumb. I read that polaris changed up the formulation about 100 times before they got the right mix of additives.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>A lot of cars say "Energy Conserving 5W-30 API Service SL", but don't say Chevy, Dodge, Cadillac, whatever.</end quote></div>

Your the person that stated each manufacture has it's own spec oil. I just listed all the manufactures I have on my place and all the different oils I need if I followed your oil instructions.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Its a gimmick to drive business back to the dealership. Every manufacturer does it. Reacuring sales make more money then the initial sale. </end quote></div>

Ching, ching, ching, we have a winner!!!!!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I let them do the work while I eat, sleep, and watch TV. </end quote></div>

That pretty much says it all.</end quote></div>

I said every QUAD manufacturer had their own specs. There's a difference between cars and quads Doc. Surely you must have noticed by now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] CAR manufacturers say to use a certain <u>grade</u> of oil, but <u>don't specify a brand</u>. Quad manufacturers <u>do recommend their own brand</u>. Is everyone following me now. Quads and cars are different in many ways including what oil is SUPPOSED to be used in them. I thought it was easy enough to understand without any further explanation.

And as I already stated, it does say in the manual you can use other oil of the same weight and service grade, <u>but may have to change it more often</u>. It's right there in the manual that I read it cover to cover before my first ride. I use Polaris oil because it has the blend of additives that Polaris thinks works best for Polaris quads, and they reccomend it. If Amsoil starts making quads and I buy one, I'll follow the instructions that come with it. If it says to use Amsoil 0W-40 SH for the best performance I will. The same goes for Rotella.

If you're trying to make a point I don't know what it is. I guess it must be that I'd rather kick back and do nothing while someone else does all the work. Guilty as charged, Doc. I have enough money to pay for oil changes and would rather not do it myself.

If you're willing to risk an $8,000 investment on a different oil go ahead. If you save any money in the process, it may or may not be worth it in the long run. I'll stick with the manufacturers reccomended oil. I know Amsoil is good because I've used it before, but not in a quad. I've never even seen or heard of Rotella oil so I wouldn't use it. I doubt anyone will change your mind or mine, and that's okay. Everyone makes their own choice and I respect yours. It's just not the same as mine.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Surely you must have noticed by now. CAR manufacturers say to use a certain grade of oil, but don't specify a brand. Quad manufacturers do recommend their own brand. Is everyone following me now. Quads and cars are different in many ways including what oil is SUPPOSED to be used in them. I thought it was easy enough to understand without any further explanation. </end quote></div>
You would be wrong. JD "recomends" their oil. GM "recomends" their oil. Olds "recomends" their oil................................. But says you can use spec oil.........just like your quad. Nice try.
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'd rather kick back and do nothing while someone else does all the work. </end quote></div>
Like I said above.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I've never even seen or heard of Rotella oil so I wouldn't use it. </end quote></div>
Ha ha ha ha..................This REALLY explaines it all.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Everyone makes their own choice and I respect yours. It's just not the same as mine. </end quote></div>
Nothing wrong with that at all. I agree.

But I would not go to a doctor that took 100 time to get the operation right either!!!
Have a good one, got to go racing for the weekend.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

If you go to the nationals , and watch the TOP pro's run , 90% or more run Rotella in the 4 strokes .

carry on~

Old 05-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Haven't heard of Shell Rotella T? It's been one of the best oils out there for high performance applications.

And its nice that you have the money to pay someone to work on your quad, others like me actually like to do the work on our own. Besides, who says the dealer is doing it correctly? Most of us can tell you stories about how the dealer screwed up our stuff, and give you many examples of how they really don't know squat about what they're doing.

There's no risk in using a better oil. As soon as you can show me actual specs on Polaris oil, I might then be able to compare it to the known top oils out there and maybe I'll change my mind and buy the factory stuff. Until then, I'll use what I know is and has been proven to be a quality oil.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

Oil is CHEAP engine insurance Ive always been taught, change it often and buy the best you can afford. That being said, oils differ from brand to brand because of the additives but as long as the specs conform to what your machine calls for the rest is all personal preference.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

You guys should listen to SheepDog.
He's right on with the oil comments.

Amsoil, Rotella, and Mobil 1 are all really good oils.
As good or better than Polaris Brand anyways.
The Polaris Oil seems pretty good, as well, just pricey.
Also, the others are more readily availiable.
Nobody actually thinks that Polaris makes Oil or Oil Filters, do they?
Of course they don't.
As long as you run a good 0w40 Synthetic and a decent Oil Filter,
and change them out as specified by Polaris, you'll be good to go.

Now the Front differential fluid and Transmission fluid is a different story.
For proper operation you pretty much have to use the Polaris branded lubes.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:32 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: AcadGuru

You guys should listen to SheepDog.

He's right on with the oil comments.

Amsoil, Rotella, and Mobil 1 are all really good oils.

As good or better than Polaris Brand anyways.

The Polaris Oil seems pretty good, as well, just pricey.

Also, the others are more readily availiable.

Nobody actually thinks that Polaris makes Oil or Oil Filters, do they?

Of course they don't.

As long as you run a good 0w40 Synthetic and a decent Oil Filter,

and change them out as specified by Polaris, you'll be good to go.

Now the Front differential fluid and Transmission fluid is a different story.

For proper operation you pretty much have to use the Polaris branded lubes.</end quote></div>

A lot of people in these forums will say otherwise about the other fluids. They say to use any generic ATF, gear oil, axle grease, etc.

As for Shell Rotella oil, I actually have heard of one type but it was strictly for diesel engines. I didn't think that was what anyone was talking about. I never buy Shell oil for anything, and don't even look at it in the stores, so there's no way I would know about it being made for quads too. I've boycotted Shell for decades because of their unfair labor practices, such as union busting, and worker abuse. I used to hear other people saying, "To hell with Shell" all the time. A lot of other people boycotted them because of their decades of support of the Apartheid Government in South Africa. I'd rather do business with American companies than the Dutch Shell Oil Co. any day. I've never been to any quad races and don't know what any of the riders use. I do know what a lot of car mechanics including my cousin use and it's not Shell.

I did some oil changes on my own quad at first but I figured that by the time I spent all that money on the right Polaris oils and greases, etc., and I compared it to the dealer's price, I'm barely even paying them for labor. They check all the fluids and other stuff too, like loose nuts and bolts. They don't just change the oil. Getting the quad serviced twice a year is worth the price to me.

I'm a gunsmith not a mechanic. I like building and working on guns, not quads, for fun. I can save some time by not working on my quad myself, and only riding it. Anything I do to save time gives me more time with my guns and my other hobbies. There just isn't enough time to spend on all of them, even though I usually only sleep a 3-5 times each week.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

i know this post is a few monthes old. thought id add my info. but i got a 2008 polaris 500. i had a 2000 polaris 335. polaris oils id say a just a reason for the dealer to make more money off a few $1000 dollar atv. i had my 2000 sportsman tell aug 08 then i sold it. it had 7000miles and about 600hrs. i used regular oil in it. if you do a regular oil change on it it will be fine. who ever says you have to use POLARIS OIL is wrong! but thats in my thoughts. i had a atv that i got new. and after the second oil change i used regular motor oil. just do regular oil changes and check overs and you will get plenty of life. i changed it 2-3 times a yr. i had an atv that was proof! but if you have the $50 some odd dollars to spend on the polaris oil. feel free. ill go buy a $3 filter and regular motor oil.

thanks

chuck