Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan

You guys that are putting toggles on your fans, are you leading them off that sensor that is in the side of the motor? I was wondering if I could leave everything hooked up and just tap a toggle in between to open and close the circut to run the fan optionally, just to keep it even cooler in different conditions, but in all leaving the actual setup the same. I understand that if you disconnect the wireing harnes comming from this sensor the fan will run, leading me to think that with a toggle to cut the circut I can contoll when I want to and let the machine when it wants to too. I hope this makes sense.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fan

The sensor on the side of the motor turns your "hot" light on (it is a single wire sensor). The thermal switch that controls the fan is located on the radiator (it is a 2 wire switch).

Usually, people that want to control the "on/off" of the cooling fan bypass the thermal switch - using a toggle switch in its place.

If you want to turn off the fan during harsh conditions of going through mud and water - you can splice the toggle switch into ONLY the red/white wire going into the thermal switch - this will turn off power to the switch and kill the fans operation - but when the "new" switch is ON, the thermal switch will still run the fan when required.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fan

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Ujoint

The sensor on the side of the motor turns your "hot" light on (it is a single wire sensor). The thermal switch that controls the fan is located on the radiator (it is a 2 wire switch).

I am confused, the sensor located on the motor has 2 wires comming from it? I have removed my radiator several times to move it out of the way to rebuild the front end and have not seen any wires or sensors except the fan wireing. I just looked at the wireing diagram and the cooling diagram and don't see it there either. I have a 04.5 Sportsman 500HO.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fan

I was hopeing that someone would comment on the sensor location.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default Fan

You could run the power from the fan sensor to the downstream side of a 12v relay and use both a switch and the heat activated sensor as switching power for the relay. Just an idea.

That equals manual override for both.

Then, you could have another momentary switch to act as a kill for the fan for deep water or mud?

I think a dashboard for all these switches I am thinking about would look great, and protect you during a rollover.

(because it would be huge and unnecessary- and stick up high enough to duck under- the way I just described it. )

How about one switch, in line with the hot wire to the fan labeled "auto" and "off"?

Old 05-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fan

Quadovator makes a kit for this. http://www.quadovator.com/1618702.html You leave the swith off and everything works as normal, and turn the over-ride switch on to run the fan.