Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New battery choice??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New battery choice??

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Hi, Think it's about time to consider replacing my original battery in my '03 600. Still seems o.k. but I would rather not wait till it leaves me stranded out in the middle of the forest. Batteries Plus has the AGM type with a 1 yr. warranty for $95.00 or the liquid type for $79.00. For a little more, the AGM seems the way to go. Anyone have any opinions/comments?? Thanks

Old 04-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

I woundln't change the battery unless it really needed to be changed. Those batteries last a long time. If you are on a polaris you can check the voltage by putting the machine in neutral,setting the brake,and then turn the switch on while holding the override button. You can then scroll through the diagnostics by repeatedly pressing the override button. The one with the battery icon is the voltage meter, should be around 12.3 or higher, if not pull the battery and put on a trickle charger (not a regular car charger) 1.5 volts I think. I recently replaced my battery with an everstart from Wal-Mart, it was around $50.00.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Thanks for the advice ATVgooroo, I did the diagnostic test and it showed 11.5 wolts. This atv has been kept in a heated garage on a battery tender since new except for just this past winter now but still plugged in a cold garage. I started it after the test after it has been off the charger for around a month now and it started fine. What do think?? Wait till it dies or replace it now? Thanks again.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Its all up to you! If it were me I would ride it out and just keep checks on it because you do have a pull start if you need it. But if you feel more comfortable changing it, then go for it. I also say that I would ride it out because right now for me its either gas or food. hahaha

Old 05-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Range Rover

The sportsman 600 does not have a recoil backup.I would run the battery as long as you can.Your speedo will flash indicating when your battery starts to get to weak.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Range Rover

Yep, no recoil back-up. Ya I'll see how it goes over the summer months. I just figured after five years, I might be pushing my luck. THanks for all replies, BTW, gas here in GF, ND. is at $3.42 gal. today. ouchhhhh!!!!!! There goes the beer money!!

Old 05-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

If it helps I had to replace the one in my Popo this year as well. There is no recoil backup and I would not trust the old one out in the boonies. I installed a Interstate batt!

Old 05-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi atvgooroo you seem like a guy thats had a lot of experience working on a Polaris. I would like to ask you a tough one. What happens when you are riding on the trail, with your wife, assuming you're married, and your battery goes dead. I've experienced that first hand and to the man with the question about the battery, go ahead and replace it. Unless you're fortunate enough to be riding with your spouse or significant other and you both ride the same machine, you could just take hers and let someone pull her bike home. Do i sound jaded? Good luck with it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Dearth - for what its worth; There IS a difference between the construction of batteries. If it is the old style with small acid fill holes; DEFINITELY replace it. That type of battery has the lead plates "hanging" from the top down into the acid. As time goes by, the lead plate "scales" off and the debris accumulates at the bottom of the battery. After time, either - the debris accumulates up to the bottom of one of the hanging plates and "instant" dead short inside the battery (battery goes completely dead within 1/2 hour and will not charge) OR one of the hanging lead plates "breaks off" and same thing - instant dead short internally.

The sealed AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries are more vibration resistant because the lead plates don't just "hang" from the top - they are "layered" between fiberglass matting, which helps with the debris shedding and definitely helps stop the "Breaking off" of the lead plates from extreme shock & vibration. Helps to avoid the "sudden death" syndrome.

Personaly - I'd get a new AGM Battery NOW; lets see, $100 / 5 years = $20 per year. OR $100 / 6 years (replace when dead with maybe long walk) = $16.67 per year. You MIGHT just save yourself $3.33 per year or take that long hike!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

That is amazing! I just went through that same thing. I and my wife were rideing and we stopped to take a break. I don't know why the battery went dead but it did. The machine did not even let me know that it was low? I usually keep a pretty good eye on the voltage. I took out my wifes battery and tried it in mine to see if that was the problem and sure enough it was, so I left it in there. I then hooked a tow rope to hers and pulled her in. She wasn't too mad.

Quick Reply: New battery choice??