Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil Sump Priming

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Sump Priming

OK I'm a new Polaris owner and am chaning oil for the first time. I must admit, compared to my other ATV's, this is very complicated unless you forego the priming bit. And that's my question. If you don't remove the bolt from the lower right hand side of the oil take (the filter screen bolt), Do you still need to prime the pump. I have done everything else but this. I drained the oil tank, removed the crankcase bolt and drained the extra cup of oil, changed the filter, but I did not remove the filter screen bolt on the lower right.

Do I still need to go through the whole piching the line bit and listening for the rush of air. This is the part of this that I hate--what a pain in the rear.

Can someone help a new Sportsman owner please?

Old 05-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oil Sump Priming

i believe your right, i forgot to pinch the hose last oil change+nothing bad happened but i didn't remove that hose,i'll look in my manual if you want to be sure.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oil Sump Priming

I just had mine done by a dealership for the first time and the mechanic said he does not take out the filter screen everytime unless you ask him to.He told me you devlope leaks over time or can crack the case.He said under normal conditions he told me once a yearyou should pull out and clean or if you have some sort of motor problems as you would have lots of debris.He said over yrs of doing them he has never seen debris on the screen unless you have had some sort of part failure in the engine.He let me watch him work so I could do it myself on the second and as long as you don't pull the screen bolt out you don't have to prime.just do what you did and start and check for any leaks and your good to go.he pulled the wet sump first and drained and then filled with 2qts and then drained the engine and put bolt back in and fired up.He said it would not lose prime unless you take the screen out.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oil Sump Priming

good deal.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oil Sump Priming

The mechanic told me if you happen have any small debri on the screen it should fall off into the sump and drain out when you change the oil because it is the suction that would hold it to the screen and the fall off when there is none.he told me once a yr for the screen.I was nervous myself that is why I paid for the first service and watched what he did and now I will do my own.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oil Sump Priming

If the hose is not disconnected, then you do not need to prime the oil pump. I agree it is a pain. Oil changes on the 800 are a lot simpler and faster.