Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Water in engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in engine

What procedures and in what oder should I do, if I got water in my Sportsman engine through exhaust when it stoped to work:S I couldn't start an engine and after that water was also in airbox. Couldn't find another post for such problem, if there is, please give me a link.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Water in engine

Drain the oil.Fill back up,Pull the plug,crank over several times. Drain oil again,fill back up,put plug back in,start it up and run 1 minute.Repeat second process 3to 4 times.I use cheap oil when flushing it out.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Water in engine

just use cheap oil for the first couple of times to clean the water out until your sure its gone then put the right oil back in.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:50 AM
Default Water in engine

+1 If your off by yourself you can run it with a little water in the oil if you have to. Just drain the air box and pull the plug and turn it over. Don't do it if you can help it though.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Water in engine

i agree you shouldnt even start it if you can avoid it by being towed back. this way it doesnt hurt the crank bearings or anything else.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Water in engine

Ok, I changed oil 4 times and finally it's not white anymore. Next problem is engine rpm, when I throttle over 2300rpm, engine stops to work. What should I check?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Default Water in engine

Drain the bowl on the carb and dry out the air filter.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Water in engine

No changes. Air filter is dry. Not sure about draining the bowl, I removed top cover of carb, and removed water (wasn't much). So the situation is the same, when I throttle very little I can get 2300rpm, then engine stops, when I open choke, I can get higher rpm. Is it carbs fault?
I'm still wondering how water through exhaust could get everywhere. Water wasn't so deep, air intake was above water. Sportsman was in water for about 40 minutes. Could water run in oil tank through pressure relief slit on oil vent hose, I guess it was under water? Is there other weak points for deeper waters?

Old 05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Default Water in engine

There is a flat head screw on the bottom of the carb right above where the rubber hose comes off the bottom. Unscrew that screw a little until all the water/gas comes out of the carb. Make sure the gas is turned off while you do this. After all the stuff comes out tighten the screw back up and turn the gas back on. Then try to run it.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Water in engine

Thank You very much [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Finally rpm is back. Now I'll fix my car, which casing I broke, when was towing my polaris from the river [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Water in engine