Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EBS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBS?

I simply wouldn't have bought a new sportsman with EBS. It was dangerous and just a horrid braking system. I despised riding them unless I was on flat ground.

With the new ADC they're outstanding. It's as good of an engine braking system as Can-Am has if not a little better and that's saying something.

They corrected a serious and dangerous design flaw when they added ADC.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:00 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default EBS?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

I simply wouldn't have bought a new sportsman with EBS. It was dangerous and just a horrid braking system. I despised riding them unless I was on flat ground.

With the new ADC they're outstanding. It's as good of an engine braking system as Can-Am has if not a little better and that's saying something.

They corrected a serious and dangerous design flaw when they added ADC.</end quote></div>

Forget about ADC for a minute since it's not an option for most quads, but EBS is.

Do you think the older system WITHOUT EBS, OR ADC, is better than EBS?

I don't. Riding those down a steep hill is a lot like the time I pushed the clutch in and freewheeled a truck and trailer down a mountian. I love riding my EBS quads up down and around any kind of terrain.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default EBS?

OK... so if it is a Scrambler we get, I've gotta figure in adding the EBS as an accessory.

Correct about the EBS and ADC. What ADC does is it gives you EBS is true 4x4 mode. The way the traditional Polaris 4x4 engages... well it results in only 2x4 (rear) engine braking. So ADC is supposed to allow a Polaris to have engine braking just like a manual 4x4 quad from the other brands. ADC is not "optional" equipment. It's new for '08 stock on some of the Sportsman models.

So it's not something that could be added to a Scrambler at this time.
But EBS on 2 tires is better than none.

My old Prairie 'freewheeled' also.
Not a lot of fun decending long or steep hills....

Old 05-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default EBS?

Okay... time for a newbie to jump in with some questions... I have a 2006 Sportsman 500HO (bought used). How do I know if I have EBS. I have seen
some where the cover actually has it on the label. My doesn't say anything, the manual doesn't mention it (not that I have seen). If not is it something
that can be retrofitted?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Moto Psycho
Default EBS?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lf479

Okay... time for a newbie to jump in with some questions... I have a 2006 Sportsman 500HO (bought used). How do I know if I have EBS. I have seen

some where the cover actually has it on the label. My doesn't say anything, the manual doesn't mention it (not that I have seen). If not is it something

that can be retrofitted?</end quote></div>

Unless someone took it off (highly unlikely) you do have EBS. There aren't any stickers on new belt covers if you replace them, so you can have a brand new cover on an EBS machine without the sticker. EBS can be retrofitted to older quads like my non-EBS '97 that I had upgraded, and other models like Scramblers that never came with it.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Moto Psycho
Default EBS?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: duster

... <u>EBS on 2 tires is better than none.</u>

My old Prairie 'freewheeled' also.

Not a lot of fun decending long or steep hills....</end quote></div>

<u>My point exactly.</u>

Old 05-12-2008, 12:13 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default EBS?

Let off the gas at high speed and the engine tries to haul your speed down on a wide corner while drifting? No wounder they leave ebs and ADC off of the Sport ATVs.

As for the no EBS, with EBS and ADC thing. If you cant get a ATV (any ATV) down a hill on brakes alone than maybe ATVs are just not your sport to be in.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Moto Psycho
Default EBS?

You can use brakes alone but with EBS but you don't need use them as often or as hard. Since hilly trails are where I do most of my riding it makes a difference in the life of the brakes. That's more money that stays in my pocket. It looks like only one person in this thread needs ADC. Maybe he should winch the quad downhill instead.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default EBS?

Hmmmm... I was still thinking that from how mine responds.. it can't have EBS... I found this on the 2006 HO compared to 2006 EFI...
http://www.atvsource.com/manuf..._sportsman_500_ho.htm

It says that its standard on the 2006 EFI, but was an 'accesory' on the HO model... (down in the list of specs)...

Old 05-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default EBS?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

They corrected a serious and dangerous design flaw when they added ADC.</end quote></div>

Forget about ADC for a minute since it's not an option for most quads, but EBS is.

Do you think the older system WITHOUT EBS, OR ADC, is better than EBS?

I don't. Riding those down a steep hill is a lot like the time I pushed the clutch in and freewheeled a truck and trailer down a mountian. I love riding my EBS quads up down and around any kind of terrain.</end quote></div>

I'd rather not have EBS at all. It's worse than useless.

I'm happy Polaris made it standard on the Sportsman line. They should have done it a long time ago.