Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new belt problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new belt problems

I own an 01 sportsman 500HO w/EBS, and for some PM i put on a new goodyear belt, the original belt had 2500miles on it. Anyways after 100 miles the goodyear belt let go. It looks like the cords got caught in the clutch and sucked out. The belt actually delaminated when the cords came out then broke. I have all the pieces and the belt actually fell apart in two havles, the top half, and the bottom half with the cogs cogs??? I pulled out all the cords i saw and tried to put on a new Polaris belt (3211069 i believe), but i couldn't get the secondary open so i took it apart and found a birds nest of cords. I put it back on and the new belt went on. The problem now is at idle when i shift into gear the bike starts rolling away, and it takes a lot of force to shift in/out of gear. The belt sits flush with the top of the secondary, and has 5/8" tp 3/4" of gap when i put a sraight edge across the clutches and push down. I noticed that the EBS pulley spins in one direction as it should, but takes a bit of resistance to spin it (feels like a well grease bearing). Could this be whats grabbing the belt and sending the bike forward? or is my belt too tight? Is there room for a cord to get under this pulley?
The manual shows nothing for belt adjustment, and i was wondering what you guys do to adjust it if you do at all.

Thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

I WOULD CALL THE DEALER WHEN OPEN OR POLARIS ON LINE PARTS+ DOUBLE CHECK THE BELT SIZE ALITTLE WIDER OR SHORTER WOULD DO THAT. ALSO MAKE SURE YOUR PRIMARY IS PULLING ALL THE WAY BACK,YOU MIGHT HAVE SOME STUCK IN THERE......

Old 05-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer

can anyone verify the 3211069 is the right belt? and not the non-ebs version belt?

Thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe some of the old belt stuck in the primary keeping it engaged some! Clean it out, what was the # on the original belt?

Old 05-12-2008, 05:04 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My 01 H.O w/EBS uses a 3211069. I just swap it out with a "Goodyear Gatorback" . I,m going on a fishing trip this thurday,I wounder if I should swap belts again?

My goodyear I bought was called a "Gatorback" P# 30GBS1040 is that what blew up on you?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

you got it!! (made in Mexico) I took it to the place i bought it, they got back to me saying goodyear wanted all the pieces for inspection. I have already been offered a free belt, but l have lost all trust in running one of these belts, I'm gonna stick with the Polaris ones from now on.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

easy way to tell if it is an ebs or non ebs belt is that the ebs belt will have cogs on both sides of the belt where as non ebs belts only have it on the underside of the belt.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:40 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got this off the polaris website.

Fits ATV's With EBS Brakes 3211069

Fits ATV's Without EBS Brakes 3211077

The non-EBS is a replacement for really old one with a different number. It wasn't even close to this. I don't think the originals had any cogs on them which would make them stiffer and run hotter. I was thinking the last 3 numbers were 177 but it's 077. It's still a higher number than the EBS belt so it must have come out shortly after the EBS belt.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:29 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Kerbbirds

easy way to tell if it is an ebs or non ebs belt is that the ebs belt will have cogs on both sides of the belt where as non ebs belts only have it on the underside of the belt.</end quote></div>

My Sportsman has EBS and the Stock Polaris
3211069 belt only has cogs on the inside of the belt like a snow machine belt.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Trailblazer

I rebuilt my primary, new buttons washers and ebs pulley, and i still have the problem. It looks as if my belt is sitting real high on the secondary (3/16)when it wants to drive away. The belt is also under tension at this time which i know is wrong. I have .120 of spacers already between the sheaves, and don;t know where to go next. Motor mounts also seem fine. Is there a trick to putting the roller secondary together? or is it as easy as it seems. bottom sheave--spacers--top sheave-- large spacer --spring---helix then shim and snapring?

Quick Reply: new belt problems