Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Newbie: Polaris 500 ho stalls, no 4wd in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie: Polaris 500 ho stalls, no 4wd in reverse

Thanks for your help this atv is a 2004 sportsman 500

I was just flipping through my manual and found out about the overide button for reverse. I wish I would of known that last night.

Anyway, this stall issue. I found that once I start the machine cold and give it some throttle then it will stall, I mean actually stop running. So I let it warm up and it seems to run better. On occasion it stalls after I change gears and the revs are down. If I am on the gas it never bogs down and runs really well.

I just went out and checked the throttle play. When I press the throttle it doens't have much tension until I push it in 3/16". I can actually pull it a 1/8" towards me and then it has about 1/4" before I can feel pressure on the throttle. So it does sound like I should tighten it up. How do I do that?

Thanks in advance

jeff

Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

jeff - another "J" - I've got a tribe of "J's".

I haven't adjusted the throttle play - but I'm sure somebody will be able to help you out.

In the meantime here is a link to a '05 Sporsman 500 Service Manual. It should tell you in there. Sevice Manual

Old 05-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

A few months ago my ride was completely stalling out after starting it from cold. It would actually take it a while to get going. After choking it and giving it gas until warm, it would run. I found out that my valves needed to be adjusted. I followed the specs and directions I found on a website and now it starts with the first turn of the key. just a thought. I'll find the web site and get it back to u. It wasn't a hard job, just tedious.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

None of my Sportsmans was a 2004 so I'm not sure what the procedure is to adjust it. If it like my 2006 there's a inline adjustment on the cable. You should have 1/16 - 1/8" freeplay at the throttle. All of this stuff is in the owner's manual. It's page 106 in mine.

I read my manual from cover to cover before my first ride. Maybe on my fourth quad I didn't read the part that tells you how to ride up and down hills, etc., but I read everything else. I know that seems weird to some people who just put the key in and go. And I don't remember all the details, but at least know where to look.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

try expertvillage.com and ehow.com to start. there's a video of the valve adjustment at expertvillage. In your manu. it will tell u that after so many hours you should adjust valves. It makes a world of difference.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Moto Psycho

There's nothing about valve adjustment in any on my owner's manuals. My buddy has to adjust the valves on his Griz every other weekend, but I went thousands of miles without doing it once on a Sportsman.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

my bad about the manu. comment. Well thats awesome, i've adjusted valves on two different sportsmans. a 500 HO and a 400. I hope all the info u've heard helps u tburg. It sucks to have a 4 wheeler not performing up to par. reguardless of headaches though they're a blast.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

The throttle can be adjusted by finding the rubber sleeve on the throttle cable. Slide the sleeve down and loosen the jam nut; crank up the quad and turn the thottle cable adjustmant until it starts to rev; adjust so that it is snug but not snug enough to stay at a high idle; tighten jam nut; replace sleeve. Polarisryder did have to adjust her valves but it was after it had trouble starting. It sounds like you have no trouble starting it. You will know when you need valve adjustment when it gets really hard to start. I would check all the filters(fuel,air,pre,)and then I would drain the float bowl by turning the drain screw on the bottom of the bowl.
Make sure the fuel cut off is all the way open. Clean out your spark arrestor too. Replace the plug. Just doing some trouble shooting, this stuff can't hurt and its fun too.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:28 AM
Moto Psycho

^ The things some people do for fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

I can't help it I just love this stuff!

Quick Reply: Newbie: Polaris 500 ho stalls, no 4wd in reverse