Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hawkeye K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye K&N filter

i just ordered one for my '06 hawkeye 300 4X4. anything i need to know about it? how do i clean it? how often should i clean it in sand and really dusty areas?

any help is appreciated guys!

Old 05-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Care and Maintenance will be covered in the instructions that come with the filter. Make sure you use the stock foam prefilter on the K&N. In really dusty conditions, just remove the prefilter and shake the dust out of it every couple of days, and you'll find that the actual filter (K&N) will only need to be cleaned once or twice a year.

Good luck.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the help! does it actually help in performance? and to take advantage of the higher air intake, should i drill some holes in the airbox?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

Might help a little, but i dont think youll notice it

Old 05-17-2008, 12:14 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

RickeyP, let me tell you about performance and K & N filters. Before I switched to K&N, my Hawkeye was just plain.

I put a K*N on and went for a ride down my block. I pulled up to the crosswalk lines, put it in AWD, and hit the throttle. The tires were spinning and wheeley's happened in all 4's. I went back to the line where I started and found that I had so much ppower and ttraction that I moved the blacktop back and the painted line had moved back 6".

It happend just this way and I'm sticking to my story.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Well mongrol the K&n Filter did help a little, But the most performance i got was out of the triangular multi hi energy plugs that are "top secret" Plus the Tornadic multi induced forced Induction system that I made myself on my Multi-specific painted green workbench really makes that hawkeye bend the bars with the brutal acceleration it produces, my tread pattern on the tires were ground to a small nub after my Speed test, The wheelies were incredibly awesome to the point of sinical laughter and night sweats of my sureal dreams of thrashing kawasaki brute forces and grizzly 660s and in the sand it shot rooster tails 50 feet high where even the sand rails parked and enjoyed the show i put on, The reddest of rednecks and the finest of sunbathing women came to my truck and wanted a picture with Me and my Creation. I swear thats the truth and Im sticking to it.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, if you're running rich, the K&N will lean it out a little. That usually results in quicker throttle response. I wouldn't drill holes in the airbox though, unless you don't go into any kind of deep water.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:08 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone I know who uses K&N airfilters on quads wants to start drilling holes in the airbox right off the bat. No-one even seems to be aware that the EPA made that illegal several years ago. I've never seen the law enforced yet, but it's one more thing you can get ticketed for, like riding in the forest without a spark arrestor and not staying on the trails.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider

4 strokes aren't as sensitive as 2 strokes when it come to air/fuel mixture BUT even with that said "if" you start drilling holes into your air box after putting on a K&N filter you best be ready to rejet your carb or you will cause a lean condition which will result in a BIG HOLE in your piston. If your not racing and have not done any major engine mods to go along with the extra air you will not notice any performance gains, just a loss of how deep of water you can go through safely. Leave it alone, this is one of those things that "if it ain't broke-don't fix it"

Old 05-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MaineWheeler

4 strokes aren't as sensitive as 2 strokes when it come to air/fuel mixture BUT even with that said "if" you start drilling holes into your air box after putting on a K&N filter you best be ready to rejet your carb or you will cause a lean condition which will result in a BIG HOLE in your piston. If your not racing and have not done any major engine mods to go along with the extra air you will not notice any performance gains, just a loss of how deep of water you can go through safely. Leave it alone, this is one of those things that "if it ain't broke-don't fix it"</end quote></div>

I agree. Even if it did improve the performance it wouldn't be worth it when you suck up a bunch of water.

But I know people who want a 200 to act like a 350, and a 350 act like a 500. I always ask why they didn't just buy something bigger, instead of buying a new quad and putting a stage 2 kit on it.

Quick Reply: hawkeye K&N filter