hawkeye K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hawkeye K&N filter

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 00XJ

Well I beg to differ. I can put 10w/30 in my wifes Sable and when it's cold it will knock slightly at start up. If I put 5w/30 in it it will not. I don't care what they say, 10w/30 is a heavier oil than a 5w/30 when it's cold. Kind of blows that "won't get any heavier than a so and so weight in cold weather" crap. So I guess it does have a higher viscosity in cold weather.

And yes I know Polaris oil is synthetic, but who makes it? I'll stick with a known oil.

To each his own.</end quote></div>

That's exactly what I said. It's heavier in winter when it's cold. But not in warm weather. That blows everything you just said, because you're agreeing with what I already said. Read it again and see if I'm lying. And since you know Polaris oil is synthetic I don't know what "dino" oil you were talking about.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No you claimed viscosity does not change. A 10w/30 will get no thicker than 10w no matter how cold it gets, and no thinner than a 30w no matter hot it gets. IMO, and experience that claim by the oil companies is a load of crap. If a 10w/30 gets no thicker than a 10w when cold then explain why the car knocks with it in winter, but not in summer. Everything gets thicker/harder in cold temps. That is why I run 5w/30 in it in the winter. Even anti freeze will freeze/thicken if it's cold enough.

I claimed I'm no expert, but these are MY experiences. You can use a lighter weight oil if you choose, but I will stick with a slightly heavier weight oil in MY vehicles. I have never had an oil related failure, and I've run many vehicles 100,000 or more.

Let's just agree to disagree. ;-)

Old 05-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 00XJ

No you claimed viscosity does not change. A 10w/30 will get no thicker than 10w no matter how cold it gets, and no thinner than a 30w no matter hot it gets. IMO, and experience that claim by the oil companies is a load of crap. If a 10w/30 gets no thicker than a 10w when cold then explain why the car knocks with it in winter, but not in summer. Everything gets thicker/harder in cold temps. That is why I run 5w/30 in it in the winter. Even anti freeze will freeze/thicken if it's cold enough.

I claimed I'm no expert, but these are MY experiences. You can use a lighter weight oil if you choose, but I will stick with a slightly heavier weight oil in MY vehicles. I have never had an oil related failure, and I've run many vehicles 100,000 or more.

Let's just agree to disagree. ;-)</end quote></div>

If by knocking you're referring to detonation, or spark-knocking, that happens when the octane in your gas is too low. I don't know why your oil would effect the octane in the gas. I didn't claim the vicosity doesn't change. I said 0W50 and 10W50 will both be 50 weight when they're warm and act like thinner oils when it's cold. The vicosity doesn't go above or below those numbers. 5W-30 and 10W-30 are both 30 weight when they're warm, that's why in the summer they both work the same. 5W is thinner and your wife's car likes it. In the winter the lighter oil is thinner because 5 is less than 10. If you don't believe the claims about multi-viscosity oil, run straight 30 weight in your car for a year and tell me what happens all winter. Or just yank the cord on a lawnmower when it's 0 degrees and it's full of 30 weight oil. It won't be thin like 5W-30 or 10W-30. I know because I've tried it before. If multi-vis oil didn't work the way it's supposed to none of us would use it, but we are, even you.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got the air filter about an hour ago... took so long cuz they had to redirect the order to canada or sumthin cuz they didnt have it in stock. ive just got it in the garage here in daytona, so no way to ride it at all, but just put it on and i can tell the difference just in neutral revving it. it revs much smoother and faster. cant wait till this weekend and see its full power increase!