Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATV WINCH

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ATV WINCH

I've had good luck with my Warn winches. Ramsey is supposed to be good too. http://www.ramsey.com/atv/index.html

Old 06-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV WINCH

I've got a ramsey 2500 and I'm very please. A buddy has the 3000 Gorilla and isn't that please with it. It struggles and grunts a good bit and seems to stall out pretty easy compared to the Ramsey. I'll never trust anything other than a ramsey or warn in stick spots. Half the time we can't get his Gorilla to free spool. They draw many more amps than a Ramsey also. Ramsey draws 1/3 less amps than any other winch. I've switched my ramsey from atv to atv and so have many of my buddies and they are holding strong.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Moto Psycho
Default ATV WINCH

I read in the utility ATV section where some people are having trouble with Viper winches. They say the cable is jumping over the end of the spool. I don't think that's even possible with most other winches. Even if you pull sideways and the cable stacks on one end it shouldn't jump off the end of the spool. I never heard of a Ramsey or Warn doing that, and I've pulled beyond 90 degrees sideways with my winch.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default ATV WINCH

One of the nice things about the Ramsey winch is that some of the winch's come with a wireless remote!!!!

http://www.ramsey.com/atv/atv3000syn.html

Old 06-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Moto Psycho
Default ATV WINCH

I'm going back and forth between the Warn and Ramsey page looking at both. http://www.warn.com/atv/winches/XT30.shtml The biggest difference I see is the fairlead. They both have the same size .9 horsepower permanent magnet motor, the same length and diameter rope with rock shield, 3-stage planetary gear system (all-metal in Warn), a remote control plus a rocker switch on the handlebar, limited lifetime warranty. They even have the same bolt pattern so you could take one off and replace it with the other, without changing the mount. The two winches are very similar in most respects, but the Warn has a mechanical brake so it won't roll back when you cut the power. Warn has more gear reduction too so it will be a little slower but easier pulling. Warn would be my first choice and Ramsey my second, or whichever is cheaper would be my first choice if there's a big difference. I don't have any reason to come up with a third choice because they're both great winches.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default ATV WINCH

I have 2.5 Warn the Popo no complaits I would buy another Warn in a hartbeat but I also would use a Ramsey if need be I guess it would be just a matter of price for me!!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Range Rover
Default ATV WINCH

the ramsey has a brake too. It must not be listed on their page. You can hang the atv on a hillside and it won't let out. I used it one time with the wireless remote to lower it off a near vertical cliff so we could get around a huge gate. The wireless remote is great for that stuff. The old superwinches and that style winch are well know for cables jumping off the spool. That's the reason I switched to Ramsey. Add the cost of the bumper, winch and lots of time in near freezing weather and 3-5 guys time. I'd pay extra for security.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default ATV WINCH

Good to here from someone who has one (Ramsey) as not allot of people on the for that do. My next 4x4 will more than like have a Ramsey so I can say that I have used both Major brands and see which I prefer!!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Moto Psycho
Default ATV WINCH

I hung my quad in a tree with my Warn A2500 without a brake. Most winches don't have one, or it's optional. I didn't leave it there long, but it held. I don't know why Ramsey doesn't list a brake when it's such a big selling point. The only way I would own a Superwinch is if they were giving them away. Just by looking at them I know I don't want one.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Range Rover
Default ATV WINCH

Much agreed jumbofrank. The looks and feel of the Ramsey and Warns just prove how they will hold up. The Gorilla's on my buddy's are all plastic and just sound like any second they're going to give out when they are in a bind.

Quick Reply: ATV WINCH