Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sp500 stuck in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this weekend we had a 2000 sp500 get stuck in reverse, has any body else have this problem? we were miles from our trucks and in deep snow, we gently beat (for about a half hour) on the linkage until it came out of reverse. had no other problems at all that night. this is the second time this has happend to this machine any fixes out there?

Old 01-22-2001, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

About a year ago had a problem with my,
but it was stuck in low. took it to the
dealer and got the linkage adjusted.
been find since then.

00 sportsman 500

Old 01-22-2001, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Its a simple fix.Take off right side cover and you will see two linkage rods.At each end has a adjuster nut and a lock nut.Just fool with the adjuster nuts until the quad shifts to your liking than retighten the lock nuts.Rembember that one end of the rod is a right handed thread and the other end is left handed so be careful not to strip anything.You could of done it on the trail because the wrench needed is supplied with the quad's tool bag.
The same thing happen to me and now it shifts smoother than it ever did from the dealer when new.

Old 01-22-2001, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has happened to both my Sportsman and my Xplorer,there is a easy way to unjam it to.Take off the right side cover,you will see both linkages that go to the shifter.One will be sticking out of the shifter box further than the other,this is the one that you want to take something and gentle ''tap'' it back into the shifter housing.Works quickly every time.

I got so feed up with this on my Xplorer that I investigated further and found out that the linkage jamb nut was loose and causing the rod to come out of adjustment.I readjusted the linkage,changed the oil in the shifter housing and everything has been fine since,
Bill

Old 01-22-2001, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Adjusting the linkage is usually all it takes to solve a "stuck in gear" problem. However, I had to go to the rear of the linkage, to where it connects to 'shifter pawl' that is connected directly to the transmission. Then I took a set of vice grips and attached them to the pawl, then slightly moving them back and forth, and the shaft loosened up. Then, I had to adjust the linkage as written above. I had to drive in reverse 3 miles to get home to solve that one.

Old 01-22-2001, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't adjust them, just yet. Pull the side cover ,spray the shifter pistons(just behind/below the shifting lever) with penetrating oil, then slide the handle into each gear repeatedly. After a few shifts, the linkage will free up and become much easier to shift in/out of any gear...... I have seen this many times. Ride-em hard Polcat

Old 01-23-2001, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

The linkage adjust is necessary because of chassis/frame flex, when one side gets twisted. Getting stuck in gear and also popping out of gear is quite common until you find the "sweet spot" in the linkage adjustment. New machines in particular have this problem. It's kind of like a break in period, where the chassis has to flex so many times, and you have to find the right linkage adjustment. This is magnified gratly if you plow snow. It has taken me three years to find that "sweet spot", with many fine tuning adjustments along the way. Also, make sure the linkage is not bent, in any way like mine was. If all else fails, rock the machine back and forth while aplying pressure to the linkage. It eventualy moves in or out of gear as necessary.

Old 01-28-2001, 06:08 PM
Range Rover

Tool bag I don't have a tool bag. Should I have recieve a tool bag with my 2001 SPHO?

Old 01-28-2001, 07:13 PM
Range Rover

Rowdy,
Look under the seat, in the storage compartment.
weetoots

Old 01-28-2001, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

I hesitate to post this, just more fuel for the Polaris bashers, but I think frame flex is right on.

Mine stuck in low yesterday for the third time in three days. Someone suggested frame flex. I grabbed the rear end of the quad and shook it up and down, (the best that I could) and it shifted perectly agian. And after thinking about it, the time before when it stuck, it was when I hit a curb with the plow.

Dave

Quick Reply: sp500 stuck in reverse