Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 Sportsman 800 Twin Touring Rattle sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Sportsman 800 Twin Touring Rattle sound

My 800 had the rattle. I wouldn't take delivery of it until they fixed it. It took us some time to find it, but it ended up being the metal piece that goes over the batery. You can put double sided padded tape on the underside of the piece. That's what we did.

No rattles now.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

The rattle on my 500 was my ecm falling off due to poor quality screws. One side broke loose causing it to vibrate horribly at certain rpm's. It took me quite some time to track it down because it's tucked up under the front end pretty good. My wifes bike had the same problem but it never rattled it just fell off! I've noticed that the Polaris machines make alot of strange noises.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

My 500 has a noise on the right hand side and its the back half of the shaft that goes from the front pumpkin to the transfer case-- u joints are good and Ive ridden quite a few others that do the same thing that have good u joints--just the nature of the beast. while your rolling along CAREFULLY look&listen to the shaft and see if thats whats doing it and if it is - check the u joints and if they are good don't sweat it mine has never gotten any worse, but it can be annoying for sure

Old 07-12-2008, 01:54 AM
Range Rover

My 800 rattles, I have no idea if it is normal. It is not a metallic rattle, but seems to be just normal engine noise I guess.

it twangs and speaks some times too. Runs and drives fine.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:50 AM
Range Rover

Both my 500 and 800 have this noise as well... I had just written it off as part of the package! i'm going to have to look into this as I'd love to stop it... Sure is pretty annoying at times. My cure has been to get on the throttle.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:01 AM
Range Rover

Alright, I FIGURED it out...

After riding today i realized that there is 2, yes two, different rattling noises. One is coming from the engine on the right side, but it's not that bad at all as is overshadowed by the 2nd, louder rattle.

The second one is also on the right side and is coming from the aluminum heat shield that is visible thru the opening in the plastic. As i was driving i noticed the rattle and put my hand on the shield and pushed on it and SURE ENOUGH, it stopped...

Now that shield gets hot as hell so I could only hold it for a sec. It seems that i need to find something to wedge in there between the shield and the plastic. I'm thinking some kind of dense rubber stopper night work.. Any suggestions???

i'm going to look at it tommorrow and see what i can come up with.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok i dont know if you guys are hearing a regular rattle or if its the drive line slack your hearing when you take off or let off the throttle going at slower speeds. but they do make alot of noise from this slack which is somewhat normal as it was on my 06' as well as my 08' 800. they seem to be on the twins more then the singles. the heat sheilds rattle some as well that you can check.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

ok i dont know if you guys are hearing a regular rattle or if its the drive line slack your hearing when you take off or let off the throttle going at slower speeds. but they do make alot of noise from this slack which is somewhat normal as it was on my 06' as well as my 08' 800. they seem to be on the twins more then the singles. the heat sheilds rattle some as well that you can check.</end quote></div>

It isn't the driveline slack,on mine at least. I know what that soulds like, that is a clunking, deeper noise. This is a ligher metallic rattle and mine does it stopped at an idle.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

It is the heat shield, my 08 rattled and squeaked like crazy when I bout mine. I would tell the dealer about it because it seems like all the new ones do it and Polaris needs to address the problem. The heat shield is more than one piece and held by pop rivets and they work loose and rattle-squeak.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found the source of a rattle on my 05,700 the other day that had been driving me crazy for a long time.It seem to be more evident when I was accelerating and turning right.I took the seat off and the plastic vent tube that is wrapped in foam was vibrating against what I reckon is the sensor on top of the throttle body.I put foam in between the two parts.I could tell this had been going on for a while.I have come to the conclusion that these things have more clicks,clacks,vibrations and whining noises than I'll ever figure out so I'll just ride it till it breaks.This is the first and the last of the chitty chitty bang bang bikes I'll own.Live and learn.

Quick Reply: 2008 Sportsman 800 Twin Touring Rattle sound